24 - Nightmare

Several Days Later:

"Meg," I huffed, looking over what she just handed to me, "you're an idiot."

"No, wait. You can't call me that without context."

"These were supposed to be turned in a week ago."

"Yes. And?"

"You still haven't turned it in."

"Right."

"And we need to pass this to make sure we pass the class."

"Mm-hm."

"Meg, how do you not see the problem with this?"

"Listen. First, calm down. I'm the teacher's favorite. Secondly, relax."

"Calming down and relaxing are the same thing."

"Exactly," she said. "I want you to just pick one and go with it." She spun once in her wheeled chair with a light kick, her smile growing as she went. She let out a content little hum then let her foot hook on one of the wheels to force herself to a stop.

Right now, we were in the public library of our town in one of the corners meant for studying groups. They were rather secluded and were tucked away quite neatly, so we were free to talk. It was a large enough library anyway that the quieter sections – and the ones with the comfier seating options – wouldn't hear us in the slightest.

"I feel like I should also mention that I asked for an extension," she said.

"You're impossible," I sighed. "And what excuse did you use this time?"

She snickered before she even said what she wanted to. "My parents' divorce."

That made me laugh. "Are you serious? There's no way that worked."

"Why not? It can be very devastating to a young person."

"Yeah, I get that. But this would be the third time since sophomore year that your parents supposedly get a divorce."

"Well, then it's a damn good thing they never come to school events," she said with a nonchalant shrug. There was a pause, then, and she seemed to be thinking quite hard about something before she looked at me seriously. "Have I really only used it three times? It feels like I used it more."

"You've only told me about three," I said. "Our thesis in sophomore year, getting out of the mile run in gym last year, and just now."

"I need some new material," she mused. "I definitely used it in history at least twice."

"I can't believe they're that gullible," I sighed. "The youth of tomorrow, taught by yesterday's fools."

"Makes more sense the more you think about it," she said. "Ah, well. I'll turn it in tomorrow... if you help me finish these graphs, of course."

"You're hopeless."

"But you love me."

"If you say so."

"..."

"..."

"So, are you gonna help me with these graphs?"

---

"God," Gunther drawled out, stretching his arms above his head as he walked. He was towards the back of the group, walking alongside Eld. At his other side was Olou, and a few paces ahead of them were Petra and Levi. "My Wednesday schedule is just the worst."

"Still complaining about it, and we only have a few more days of classes left," Eld sighed. "Give it up already, man. No one's gave you sympathy before, we sure as hell ain't giving you any now."