65 - Red Swan Pt 2: Bloodstained Wings

Afternoon; 2:47 P.M. – (Y/n).

Same day. The park.

Colt dropped down onto the blanket before us on his back, letting his breath come out in a huff. "Hello, darling," I greeted. By now, Levi and my little moment of sentiment was over; the feelings had run through their course and by now we were just content to sit and watch the boys play together.

They'd eventually gotten bored of just tossing the ball back and forth, and eventually had taken to a sort of "batting practice" with a stick in place of a bat which... worked only until the stick broke.

...it was after only one pitch.

"You wouldn't guess who Falco found," Colt muttered towards the sky.

"Let me guess," I pretended to think, tapping my index finger to my chin. "The only person that might keep him from following you over here..."

Colt, of course, knew what name I was about to say. It seemed that my sarcasm went over Levi's head, if only because he wasn't paying too much attention to the conversation at hand right now.

"Gabi?"

"Yes, love," I said, laughing. "That's my guess, too."

"You got it," Colt sighed. "He forgot all about trying to find a bat or something leftover in the dugout of that baseball field over there and just... ran right over to her."

"Oh, well," I sighed, leaning back against my hands. Then I smirked cheekily and looked down at him. "You interrupted a very special moment between me and Levi, you know."

Colt rolled his eyes and shook his head incredulously. "In public? Yeah, right. Dirty laundry guys, keep it at home."

The comment made me laugh and I shared a sly look with Levi, who seemed to be about done with my nonsense. A few quiet minutes passed in this way, and the next interruption came in the form of Falco returning, but not of his own volition: he was being dragged by the hand by Gabi. Several paces behind them was Gabi's cousin, Reiner.

"Mr. Levi," Gabi greeted happily. "And Ms. (Y/n)!"

"Oh, sure," Colt muttered. "It's not like I'm here."

Gabi just continued to babble on excitedly, standing proudly with one hand on her hip and the other holding Falco's, whose face was about as red as a tomato. He was staring down at their conjoined hands and only let his eyes divert from them when he realized I was looking, in which case he ducked his face into his free hand embarrassedly.

I was so engrossed in my efforts of trying not to outwardly coo at how cute Falco was that I didn't realize how little attention I was paying to Gabi's story, and as such I didn't realize until far too late that she was looking at me, expecting an answer of some kind.

"Um..."

"Please?"

"Sure," I said, unsurely.

"Yay!" Gabi yanked Falco closer to her to grab him into a tight hug and I glanced at Levi, wondering what I'd just gotten myself into. "Thank you, Ms. (Y/n)!"

I only smiled with a nod to her, then leaned in towards Levi to whisper, "What did I just agree to?"

"Letting Falco go home with them for the day," Levi whispered back.

"Thank you, mama," Falco said happily, only prying himself far enough away from Gabi to say it.

"Easy there, Gabi," Reiner said, sliding his hands into his pockets. Then he turned to me. "What time should we bring him back?"