25 - The Yearbook

It was late at night when I awoke to my phone ringing. From the ringtone alone, I knew who it was. It was a distinctive ringtone, one that even my sleep-addled, foggy brain could acknowledge and recognize. Still, I blinked blearily as I rolled over, trying to rid the sleep from my eyes. As I reached for my phone, I spared a quick glance at the clock before tugging my phone free of its charger and answering the call.

"Levi? It's two in the morning, what's up?"

"I know what time it is," he snapped.

His voice alone, hoarse and gruff, let me know that he had just woken up as well. Strange. Sure, we talked all the time, but even if he stayed up all night like he used to - damn his insomnia - he wouldn't call me if he knew that I was sleeping. And usually, at this hour I was.

Sometimes, at these disgusting hours of the morning, I might text him and see if he was up, see if we couldn't call and talk quietly for a while until I fell asleep. But I was lucky in that he wasn't a fuckboy; he wouldn't call me just because he was horny. Unless...

No, he wouldn't. Something must've shaken him terribly for him to call me so early. Either an emergency, a real one, or... he just needed to hear my voice. Maybe he just wanted to hear my voice. We spent damn near the entire weekend together, it would make sense for him to miss me, especially considering... well, considering how much I missed him already.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly.

"No," he said with a sigh. "I should be saying that."

A pause. I waited for him to continue, to say it, but he remained silent.

"So... say it?"

"Brat," he huffed. I heard a sharp intake of breath before he continued. "I'm sorry."

I smiled, lowering my head to rest against the pillow again. "There we go. Now, care to tell me what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," he started. He likely realized I wouldn't believe his bullshit for even a second because he backpedaled, just a bit. "Nothing important, anyway."

"Aw," I cooed, adjusting the blanket over my body. "Did you call because you miss my voice? We spent the whole weekend together, Levi. Not to say that it's a bad thing if that was the case, because I missed your voice too."

Perhaps being completely exhausted and being woken up in the middle of the night was similar in a way to being drunk. Drunk words are sober thoughts, after all. And I definitely hadn't meant to say that. Not aloud. And especially not to him.

Guess I couldn't take it back now.

Maybe he hadn't heard it?

"Is that so?"

He'd heard it.

Despite my embarrassment, I smiled and stretched out across my bed, trying to get comfortable again while also keeping the phone to my ear.

"Maybe," I said. "And maybe I'm still wearing that hoodie I stole from you. Who knows?"

"Tell me you at least washed it," he said. "It was covered in sand."

"Only because you pushed me."

"That doesn't change the fact it was covered in sand."

"You're just deflecting," I said with a laugh. "It was your fault."

"... I didn't think you'd fall over."

"You pushed me!"

"I suppose I just vastly overestimated your strength."