c h a p t e r t h i r t y f i v e

𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚: 𝖳𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝖻𝗈𝗈𝗄 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗍𝖺𝗂𝗇𝗌 𝗆𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇 𝗈𝖿 𝖽𝗋𝗎𝗀 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖺𝗅𝖼𝗈𝗁𝗈𝗅 𝖺𝖻𝗎𝗌𝖾, 𝖺𝗌𝗌𝗎𝗅𝗍, 𝗏𝗂𝗈𝗅𝖾𝗇𝖼𝖾, 𝖽𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗁 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗍𝖺𝗂𝗇𝗌 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗆𝖾𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗋𝖺𝖼𝗍𝖾𝗋𝗌 𝗂𝗇 𝖺𝗌𝗌𝗈𝖼𝗂𝖺𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝖫𝖦𝖡𝖳𝖰𝖨𝖠+ 𝖢𝗈𝗆𝗆𝗎𝗇𝗂𝗍𝗒. 𝖨𝖿 𝖺𝗇𝗒 𝗈𝖿 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗌𝖾 𝗌𝗁𝗈𝗎𝗅𝖽 𝖻𝖾 𝗍𝗋𝗂𝗀𝗀𝖾𝗋𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗈𝗋 𝖽𝗈 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝖽𝗈 𝗇𝗈𝗍 𝖺𝗀𝗋𝖾𝖾 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗆, 𝖨 𝗐𝗈𝗎𝗅𝖽 𝖺𝖽𝗏𝗂𝗌𝖾 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗍𝗈 𝗌𝗍𝗈𝗉 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝖽𝗂𝗇𝗀.

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺 𝘍𝘪𝘷𝘦 - 𝘉𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘵

adrian

I hated therapy. Not the idea of seeking psychological help but the prospect of having to air all your dirty laundry out to a stranger.

I know people said that telling a stranger about your problems is the best kind of outlet there is, and I fully agree, but that only works if you are certain that you're never going to see said stranger again.

However, when you go for therapy or counselling, or when you seek out psychological help in general, chances are you going to see that stranger more than once and that would obviously flare up any type of trust issues you have. Just the idea of having to put so much trust in someone that you would spill the most traumatic events of your life to them did not sit right with me.

It was for that exact reason that I wondered what I was doing sitting on a hideous, but albeit comfortable, grey couch across from the woman who was supposed to be my mental health counselor.

The night Luciano, Darius and I had the talk in their office about me receiving help in the first place, they mentioned CBT. I and no idea what CBT was -and I was certain whatever it was, I didn't need it- but after seeing how fixated Darius and Luciano were on the CBT being the type of help I would have been receiving, I turned to Google.

CBT stood Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and it was one of the two most common types of therapy. It's a type of talk therapy, psychotherapy if you will, where you work with a mental health counselor, in my case a psychiatrist, to identify and become aware of all the inaccurate and negative thinking so you can view challenging situations more clearly and respond to them in a more effective way.

That description came straight form Google and my understanding of it was that you talk out your issues with a mental health counselor until eventually those issues aren't so severe and they don't affect you as much as before.

But along with that, my brothers mentioned TF-CBT, which was a type or CBT focused solely on trauma patients and the definition was literally in its name, Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

A bit of research into that lead to me understanding about more about what was going to happen during these sessions.

TF-CBT was mainly focused on addressing the certain types of mental and emotional needs of trauma survivors.

Trauma, by definition, can be described as an emotional, psychological response to an experience or event that is deeply disturbing or distressing. It can be referred to as having an injury or illness, being involved in an accident, experiencing a divorce or losing a loved one. Trauma can also include severely damaging experiences.