Chapter 21

29 ~~ROOFTOP OF BUILDING-NIGHT~~ 29

Spider-Man and Lizard-Girl are beginning to wake up from unconsciousness on the rooftop of a building.

They are lying on the ground with their heads propped upright with a piece of the building.

The Green Goblin is standing in front of them.

GREEN GOBLIN
Wake up, little lizard and spider. Wake up. No, you're not dead...yet. Just paralyzed temporarily. You are both amazing creatures. And we're not so different.

Y/N
We're not like you at all.

PETER
Yeah, you're a murderer.

GREEN GOBLIN
Well, to each his own. I chose my path. You both chose the way of the hero. And they found the both of you amusing for a while; the people of this city. But the one thing they love more than a hero is to see a hero fail, fall, die trying. In spite of everything you've done for them, eventually they will hate you. Why bother?

PETER
Because it's right.

Y/N
Because it's what heroes do.

The Green Goblin walks over to Spider-Man and Lizard-Girl and leans on the piece of the building that's sticking out.

GREEN GOBLIN
Here's the real truth: there are eight million people in this city, and those teeming masses exist for the sole purpose of lifting the few exceptional people onto their shoulders. The both of you and me, we're exceptional.

The Green Goblin crouches down and grabs Spider-Man and Lizard-Girl's throats.

GREEN GOBLIN
I could squash you like a bug right now. But I'm offering you a choice. Join me. Imagine what we could accomplish together; what we could create. Or we could destroy.

The Green Goblin let's go of Spider-Man's and Lizard-Girl's throats and stands up.

He walks away a little bit.

GREEN GOBLIN
Cause the deaths of countless innocents in selfish battle again and again and again, until we're all dead. Is that what you two want?

The Green Goblin's glider approaches as he jumps on it.

GREEN GOBLIN
Think about it, heroes!

The Green Goblin flies away.