Chapter 22: "Are you okay?"

"Indy!" I hear my dad call

"Indy!" I hear my dad call. "Yes, dad?" I ask, my focus solely on the paper in front of me.

I was working on something new; not houses like I usually sketched but a human face. My tongue was slightly poking outside my lips as I tried my best not to mess up the features I was drawing.

Drawing houses or models and sceneries was very different from drawing an actual human face. Right now I was having difficulty in trying to get both the eyes to look the same; one was bigger and the other was smaller and the erased pencil marks in the back was overall making my drawing look horrible.

I heard my dad's footsteps behind me and I know he was saying something due to the sound of his voice that my brain couldn't make out right now because of my determined focus on trying to get the eyes right.

I hear a chuckle from beside me and I jump causing my pencil to slip from my hands and make a long line on my drawing. "Dad!" I whined. "Sorry, kiddo. You looked quite determined huh? What are you up to now?" He asks and I shrug. "I was trying something new, but now I- or should I say you- messed it up," I pouted and he let out a deep chuckle as he ruffled my hair.

"Trying to draw a human face, huh?" He asks and I nod. "Well, I can help you," He says pulling the other chair from beside me and taking a seat. "You know how to draw a human face?" I ask, my eyes widening in curiosity. "Of course I do, I started with human sketches and then I got into house models and all that," he says.

He then pulls the paper from in front of me towards him. His eyes move around the paper and he smiles, "You did quite well for your first time. Impressive, but you seemed to have difficulty with the eyes," he says and I nod.

"Pass me your pencil," He says opening his palm and I hand him my erase and pencil. I made a move to pass him my pencil and the moment the pencil dropped in his palms everything around me changed.

Everything around me turned black and the only sounds were of my mom's sobs and my fathers yelling.

I heard the sound of glass crashing and I closed my eyes hoping it would go. I felt my tongue go dry and my breaths getting shorter by the minute as I tried to block out all sounds until they just stopped out of nowhere.

My eyes opened and I felt sweat drip down my forehead from how cramped and small this black room seemed to feel all of a sudden. My eyes met a pair of blue eyes that were similar to mine, but only darker with anger running through them.

"D-dad-" I managed to croak out and I saw him chuckle darkly at me causing me to cower back. His figure started flying back and away from me and my eyes widen while my hands stretched trying to get a hold of my father and stop him from leaving.

"Dad!" I yelled trying to reach for him but his face formed in a scowl as he disappeared into the darkness. "Dad!" I say as I fall to my knees and tears roll down my cheeks-