Chapter Seven

Scar stretched his sleek body along the warm rock, his jaws opening into a contented yawn. He watched the Pridelands from the front of his cave with a bored expression, his green eyes wandering mindlessly over the plains.
I wonder where my dear little nephew is. He usually likes to pester me by now.
He raised his head to listen for small paws running across the rock. He was relieved to hear nothing but the sound of a mouse scurrying around in his cave.
I really should eat that little vermin; he was never good company anyway.
He started to get to his feet when he spotted something on the horizon. He groaned when he saw that it was only the hunting party running across the Pridelands. He turned away, only to turn back again and narrow his eyes.
There was no prey nearby. So why were they running? Something had to have caught their eye...
Scar's heart skipped a beat and his mouth twitched up at the corners until a sly grin lined his snout. But then reality seemed to dawn on him and his entire body tensed. His eyes widened and his heart stopped.
If it was her... if she had truly returned... they would kill her on the spot.
No hesitation.
No mercy.
Scar's first instinct was to run to her, if it was even her in the first place.
His other instincts screamed at him to not get involved. He couldn't possibly fend off all of the lionesses if they were attacking Zira.
And Mufasa is probably on the scene already, too. He is going to be furious if he finds out that she disobeyed him...
Scar immediately made his decision. He bolted down the rocky steps to the hot savannah below. He felt his paws hit the warm earth and he dashed towards the direction where he last saw the lionesses.
He kicked up dirt as he ran and he crashed clumsily through the long grass. He bared his teeth and shook his wild black mane.
Get it together! Stop acting so foolish!
He kept charging forward until he could hear distant voices. He slowed to a brisk walk until the voices got loud enough for him to distinguish them clearly.
Sarabi's voice rang clear and true amongst the mutter of the other lionesses.
"I don't think this is a good idea, Mufasa. This is against everything that we stand for."
Mufasa's voice cut in, his tone low and comforting.
"I know, Sarabi... but you must remember that she is here with good intentions and she is sacrificing everything by crossing the border. Besides, I can't hurt her now. I would be murdering an innocent."
Scar's ears perked up at that.
Zira wasn't an innocent by any means. What on earth was his brother talking about now?
He could hear Sarabi sigh and he stalked forward enough to see through the grass. Luckily it was still tall enough and thick enough here to hide his slim frame from view.
Sarabi and Mufasa were in a small clearing with the lionesses not too far away. They seemed to be surrounding something.
That something is Zira, you fool!
He tried to sneak around to get closer to the tight circle of lionesses but he quickly decided against it. If he was caught sneaking around, he had no idea what Mufasa might do.
Suddenly he walked out into the open, acting curious and confused.
Mufasa and Sarabi's heads snapped over in his direction and the lionesses began to tighten their circle even more.
"What is all this ruckus about? I was
resting near my cave when I saw all of the lionesses getting into a tizzy and running amuck. What is so drastically important here?"
Scar looked at Mufasa accusingly and Mufasa returned his gaze.
Suddenly the lionesses began to growl and snarl as the circle shifted and bulged outward.
Zira broke through to see Scar standing in front of her. She raced over to him and nuzzled against his mane.
"Scar!" she cried.
Scar didn't answer. He was completely frozen as he stared at Zira's bloated abdomen.
"Scar?"
She pulled away and looked into his shocked green eyes.
Somehow he found the strength to close his eyes and take a deep breath.
"We need to talk."