Chapter Thirty-Five

Kito chased after the hyenas, laughing as he went. They were by the water hole where fortunately none of the lionesses were. Moyo jumped into the calm blue water, quickly followed by Lindia and Kito. They splashed around, howling with laughter as Kito tried to figure out how to swim.
"Kick with your legs! Pretend you're running underwater!" Moyo shouted over all of the splashing.
Kito followed his advice. Soon they were all swimming along side by side, giggling as they told each other jokes.
"So what's it like bein' royalty and all?" Moyo asked as they swam towards the bank.
"It's pretty fun. I mean, I don't think it's that different from not being royalty. I just get a few extra perks here and there," he said.
Lindia nodded and hopped up onto shore. Her fur was sopping wet, but that didn't damper her mood at all. Instead she just grinned as she shook it out. Moyo and Kito followed after her, laughing as they dried themselves off. Lindia snapped at her brother when he got her wet all over again, and soon they were brawling by the water's edge. Kito suddenly wondered if this was what having a sibling would be like.
Moyo yelped as Lindia tugged on his ear, and she gasped when he kicked her in the gut.
Kito had to admit, hyenas were rough play-fighters.
Maybe they got their scars from each other.
He thought about it, but the thought seemed so strange that he let it drift out of his mind.
Suddenly he realized that he had been gone for a long time, and the sun was beginning to set. His parents would probably be looking for him by now.
"Hey we should probably get home!" he shouted over their yelps and growls.
They stopped to look over at him.
"Yeah, I guess so," Lindia said as she looked at the fading sun, "It was nice hangin' out with you, Kito."
She grinned over at him before turning and running back towards Pride Rock with Moyo following close behind.
Then he was all alone. He looked into the water and gazed silently at his reflection. He stared at his thin face, his sharp eyes, and his small mane tuft.
I look like my parents.
A mixture of pride and fear raged in his heart. He closed his eyes, turning away from the water's edge.
He heard a familiar roar echoing from Pride Rock. He cringed as he realized  it was his father.
He must be really mad. I wasn't supposed to be out this long.
He reluctantly dragged his paws towards Pride Rock. He cried out as he tripped on a pebble and landed face first on the ground. Dazed, he looked at the ground to see a small paw print that looked very similar to his. He put his paw on it, slowly realizing that it was Lindia who'd left it.
We are one.
His eyes widened. He stood up and squinted at Pride Rock, barely making out the figure of his father at the peak. He felt like this was all wrong.
He wanted to feel pride for his father as he looked at Pride Rock, but all he felt was fear and anger.
Is this what everyone else feels like when they see my parents as rulers?
He looked around him at the grasses spreading far and wide. He took it in as if he would never see anything more beautiful again. Then he took a deep breath before continuing on his journey home.

He climbed slowly up the peak of the enormous rock, his ears lowered in guilt. Now it was the deep blue dark of night, but he could still make out the figure of his father sitting hunched at the edge of Pride Rock. Kito came up beside him and started to apologize, but Scar cut him off.
"You said you would just go for a walk around Pride Rock," he growled, "instead you were out playing with the hyenas."
"How did you...?"
Scar bared his teeth and turned on him.
"Zazu told me. I ordered him to go find you because your mother and I were concerned. How dare you leave without telling me! Especially to go play with some dirty, dumb mongrels!"
Kito bared his teeth back and stood taller to face Scar.
"How can you yell at me for getting along with the hyenas?! I thought you wanted me to get on their good side! You're best friends with them, anyways! You're practically one if them!!!"
He didn't even have time to react as he was hurled into the air. He landed on hard rock and realized what had happened. He stared in shock at the bleeding claw marks on his left side, but he was too numb to feel the pain.
He looked back at his father for some sort of explanation or comfort.
Scar had his face turned away from his son. His muscles were tense and his eyes were squeezed shut.

What have I done?
Memories flooded back as Scar tried to get himself together.
I just attacked my own son... For doing the same thing that I did when I was young! I'm turning into my father...
He nearly gagged in disgust and anger. He glanced over at Kito, who was still down on his side. He looked up at Scar with confused, innocent eyes, and another flood of emotions hit him.
I'm a monster. What will Zira think? I should tell her that he was disobeying me... she would understand. I'm sure she would do the same thing.
He squared his shoulders and got to his paws. He approached Kito slowly, but the young cub still flinched away from him.
"Get up," he ordered.
Kito nodded once before gingerly standing up. His jaw clenched in pain and even Scar winced a little when he saw his blood-soaked fur.
"Let's go home," he growled.
He turned to walk back to the cave. He hesitated and glanced back over his shoulder. Kito just stood staring numbly up at him.
"Now."
Kito lowered his head and followed after him in obedient silence.