Chapter Thirty-One

Scar padded through the grass with Kito right behind him. He scanned the land ahead of him for any signs of other animals. Most of them seemed to be moving further and further away from Pride Rock, but he would correct that soon enough.
It wasn't too long until they ran into a herd of zebra grazing peacefully and chatting amongst themselves. Scar strutted up to them and they all lifted their heads in a sudden panic.
"Don't worry. I'm not here to eat you or anything of the sort. I'm here to see how my subjects are doing."
He tried to smile politely, but it just left a sour taste in his mouth.
Why should I be polite to them? They're our food source and nothing more.
He heard Kito come up beside him and the herd's entire demeanor seemed to change.
"So this is the young prince?" one of the females asked, taking a cautious step towards the lion cub.
Kito beamed up at her.
"Yes. I'm the Prince," he stated with proud authority.
"Well you're just an adorable ball of fur, aren't you?" another female said.
Kito shook his head politely.
"No, not really. I would say I'm more of a ferocious future King," he said.
The zebras laughed quietly among themselves while Scar just waited for them impatiently.
When they were done Scar noticed that a large male was looking straight at him. Scar spoke up sharply, his eyes narrowly pointed at the zebra.
"Don't you know it's rude to stare?" he growled.
The zebra snorted and stepped towards him.
"You said you were here to see how we're doing. Well I'll tell you just exactly how we're doing."
Scar's lip twitched as the zebra puffed out his chest and stamped his hoof.
"The hyenas are over-hunting, and so are the lionesses. We're tired of continuously losing our family and friends to greed, not hunger. The Circle of Life has been tampered with, and it needs to be set straight. Otherwise we're leaving the Pridelands."
There was a pause. Scar glared at the brazen zebra.
"I will see to it that the lionesses and hyenas do not over-hunt your herd, as long as you convince others to come back to Pride Rock. The herds are spaced too far apart for my liking."
The zebra stared him down, his eyes narrowed.
"How do we know that you're going to keep to your word?"
Anger bubbled up inside Scar and his claws dug into the dirt beneath him.
"I told you I would see to it," he growled through gritted teeth.
"Mufasa would've given us a true promise-"
"Well he isn't here!" Scar snarled, "Also, while you're out talking to all the other herds, let them know that his name shall not be mentioned in my presence! I am the King."
The lead zebra threw his head back as if he were about to say something, but right then Scar bared his teeth and he ended up bowing his head instead.
"Of course, Your Majesty. Is that all?"
Scar's lips fell back over his teeth and his body relaxed.
"Yes, that will be all. Good day," he muttered.
"And a good day to you, too," the leader snorted.
Suddenly the lead zebra looked down at Kito and a spark of hope came into his eyes.
"We'll see you again one day, young Prince."
Kito grinned and nodded. The zebra went back to grazing with his herd and Scar stalked off into the grass. Kito bounced off after him, his head high with pride.
"I'll have to make sure that arrogant ungulate is taken care of," Scar growled when they were far enough away.
"What do you mean?" Kito asked quietly.
Scar shook his head and kept walking.
"The hyenas will make short work of him. The females can find another male to lead them..."
His father's meaning slowly dawned on the small cub and his eyes widened.
"But you told them they would be safe!"
Scar looked over at his son and there was anger in his eyes.
"I said they wouldn't be over-hunted. One zebra won't be missed."
He turned his face away so he wouldn't have to see the horrified look that Kito gave him.
This is what I have to do. You'll understand one day.
"But he said he would see me again some day..."
He sniffed, trying to hold back tears.
Scar turned on him suddenly.
"Now is not the time to be sentimental! He was food, and nothing else! He could never be your friend, my son. He would just end up in your stomach, so don't you dare let him into your mind or heart!" he snarled.
Kito shook as tears trickled down his cheek.
"I want to go home!" he cried, "I don't want anyone to die! Take me home!"
Scar rolled his eyes.
"We have a long way to go before you're ready to be King," he muttered.
He turned back towards the distant peak of Pride Rock with Kito trailing miserably behind.