Chapter Fifteen

Scar paced once across the warm sunbathed rock near his cave, his eyes narrowed and his back tense. A bone blocked his path and he swatted it irritably to the side.
Those slobbering mongrels better get this right. I know I'll carry out my plan perfectly. I only wish I could say the same for them.
He wondered what his nephew would say when he visited him, which he knew was inevitable. After all the time he'd been gone he knew Simba would be curious about his return.
Suddenly he heard small paw steps behind him and he turned his head, even though he already knew who was there.
"Hey Uncle Scar! Guess what?" Simba said as he trotted over to his uncle.
Scar rolled his eyes.
"I despise guessing games."
Simba didn't seem to hear him. He continued on enthusiastically.
"I'm gonna be king of Pride Rock!"
Scar looked away and tried to hide his anger and disgust.
"Oh, goody," he drawled.
Simba padded over to the ledge and looked out proudly over the golden savanna.
"My dad just showed me the whole kingdom."
He paused and looked back at his uncle.
"And I'm going to rule it all. Heh, heh."
That ego is far bigger than that tiny body of his.
He sat down and glared at the golden cub.
"Yes, well... forgive me for not leaping for joy. Bad back, you know."
He turned away and flopped onto the hard ground.
Simba grinned and trotted over to Scar. He put his small paws on his shoulders.
Suddenly his look turned thoughtful.
"Hey, Uncle Scar? When I'm king, what'll that make you?"
Scar fought the urge to cringe.
"A monkey's uncle," he growled.
Simba laughed and rolled off of Scar.
"You're so weird."
Scar looked at his nephew and an evil grin spread across his muzzle.
"You have no idea."
He stood up and started to walk away from the young cub.
Everything is falling into place perfectly.
"So, your father showed you the whole kingdom, did he?"
Simba followed eagerly after his uncle.
"Everything," he replied proudly.
Scar sat down and gestured at the land with his head.
"He didn't show you what's beyond that rise at the northern border...?" Scar cautioned.
Simba looked down at his paws, disappointment clear on his young face.
"Well, no... he said I can't go there."
Scar leaned towards him, easily feigning concern for his nephew.
"And he's absolutely right! It's far too dangerous. Only the bravest lions go there."
He looked away and laid back on the rock. Simba puffed out his chest, his pride quickly getting the best of him.
"Well, I'm brave! What's out th-"
Scar quickly interrupted the cub.
"No, I'm sorry, Simba. I just can't tell you."
"Why not?" Simba asked.
Scar grinned.
"Simba, Simba, I'm only looking out for the well-being of my favorite nephew."
Scar rubbed Simba's head affectionately. The young cub snorted and peeked out from under his uncle's paw.
"Yeah, right. I'm your only nephew."
Scar pulled his paw back and put his claws together. He put on a cheesy grin to appease Simba.
"All the more reason for me to be protective... an elephant graveyard is no place for a young prince..."
Suddenly his eyes widened and he put a paw over his mouth in mock surprise.
"Oops!"
Simba looked more excited than Scar had ever seen him.
"An elephant what? Whoa."
Scar could see the devious, defiant wheels turning in the cub's mind and he knew he had him hooked.
Perfect.
He put a paw over his head in dismay.
"Oh dear, I've said too much..."
He put his paw down. His focus turned back to his nephew.
"Well, I suppose you would've found out sooner or later, you being so clever and all," he growled before pulling Simba closer. He continued with what he thought an uncle should say.
"Oh, just do me one favor - promise me you'll never visit that dreadful place."
He looked at Simba with gooey, loving eyes and he almost felt sick to his stomach.
It'll all be worth it in the end.
Simba thought for a moment before replying to his uncle.
"No problem."
Scar grinned.
"There's a good lad. You run along now and have fun."
He shooed Simba off with his paw, but before he rounded the corner to get back to the rest of the pride Scar stopped him.
"And remember... it's our little secret."
Simba nodded and ran off to undoubtedly get himself into trouble.
Scar smiled wickedly before turning back to the welcoming shadows of his cave.
My part is done.