Chapter Twenty-Two

Scar left the gorge and walked slowly back to Pride Rock, mulling over what he was going to say to the rest of the pride. Soon Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed caught up to him.
"Is it done?" Scar growled.
They all nodded and he felt a wave of relief rush over him. Nothing would stand in his way now.
"Go get the others. We need to make sure that we can crush any rebel lionesses, especially Sarabi," he said sternly.
Shenzi nodded and ran off, leading Banzai and Ed back to the Elephant graveyard.
Scar continued forward, knowing that they would catch up to him soon enough.

The light slowly faded into darkness as he neared Pride Rock. The moon gradually made its way into the night sky as he prepared himself for the grave speech. His paws hit the rock and his claws clicked against it, warning the others of his arrival. He walked with a sagging, mournful manner, but only to trick the others. Deep inside his heart was leaping for joy.
He saw Sarabi, Sarafina, and the rest of the lionesses wandering about, searching for Mufasa and Simba. Sarabi called out to them, saying that it was a very cruel trick to hide from her.
Scar made his way towards them and they all stopped as they saw him.
Sarabi came up to him, her eyes pleading.
"Where is Simba? Or Mufasa? Have you seen either of them?"
Scar looked her in the eyes, and he nodded very slowly, almost as if he were in shock.
Sarabi leaned closer.
"Where are they, Scar? What's wrong?" she whispered, fear shining in her eyes.
"They're dead," he growled softly.
She reeled back and her mouth parted until she was gaping at him. Then she closed her mouth and looked at him closely again.
"Tell me it's not true," she breathed.
Scar nodded again and put a paw on her shoulder. Then he put it back on the ground before turning to climb onto a nearby rock.
He looked at all of the lionesses, who were circling around him and trying to comfort Sarabi.
"It can't be true," she murmured, "it can't be. How is it even possible?"
Scar sat down on the rock and looked down at the lionesses.
"Mufasa's death was a terrible tragedy: but to lose Simba, who had barely begun to live..."
Sarabi bent her head down and squeezed her eyes shut as tears began to flow. Zazu and some of the other lionesses stood around her silently, trying their best to comfort her.
Scar noticed a young cub crying on Sarafina's leg and he felt a hint of sympathy.
She's the one that was with Simba in the Elephant Graveyard. They must've been close friends.
He paused and another thought popped into his head.
They probably would've been even more later in life.
He suddenly remembered Zira and his tail twitched.
As soon as I'm done here I need to go get her and Kito.
"For me it is a deep personal loss," he continued, "So it is with a heavy heart that I assume the throne. Yet, out of the ashes of this tragedy, we shall rise to greet the dawning of a new era..."
His voice grew louder and louder as the hyenas began to appear all around Pride Rock. The lionesses looked on in sheer horror as he stood up and started to turn towards the top of Pride Rock.
"... in which lion and hyena come together, in a great and glorious future!"
He started to ascend Pride Rock as the hyenas laughed and advanced towards the lionesses.
He looked across the Pridelands and a small grin crept onto his face. Then he roared, loud and strong, announcing his new position for all the animals to hear.
In the distance he heard his roar answered. Surprised and happy beyond belief, he let out another loud roar.
This is it. This is all I've ever wanted.
Then he looked up at the clouds swirling angrily above him, and he could swear he saw his father and brother's faces within the clouds' dangerous dark depths.
Or is it?