Chapter 29 Unwelcomed Surprise

The following morning when Holly, Harry, and the others came down for breakfast, they instantly noticed that the pink toad wasn't at the head table, “I wonder where Professor Umbridge is?” Hermione asked.

Holly and Harry looked at each other and wondered the same thing, did their letter to Sirius and Remus have anything to do with Umbridge's absence? They hoped that it did; for now, the twins weren't going to worry about it. They served themselves breakfast and started eating. Once the Great Hall was full of students, Professor Dumbledore stood up and got everyone's attention.

“May I have your attention, please?”

Everyone in the Great Hall quieted down and looked at Dumbledore, “Until further notice, Defense Against the Dark Arts class has been canceled. Your heads of your house will let you know at a later date when classes will resume.” Dumbledore announced.

The entire hall murmured amongst themselves, wondering what had happened to Umbridge. Hermione looked at Holly and Harry, “Do you suppose this has something to do with the letter you sent your parents,” Hermione asked.

“It could be,” Holly answered.

“I hope so,” Harry added.

After breakfast, the group went back to Gryffindor Tower to get their book bags and get to class.

A month went by with no signs that they would have Defense Against the Dark Arts classes anytime soon. One evening at dinner, Professor Dumbledore announced that Defense Against the Dark would begin the following day again. Hermione and Holly looked at each other, “Is it me, or does it seem that Professor Dumbledore is a little upset?” Hermione asked.

“No, he does look upset, but I can't imagine why,” Holly said.

“I wonder who our new Defense teacher is,” Harry asked.

“I don't know, but whoever it has to be better than Umbridge,” Neville added.

“I guess we'll find out tomorrow.”

The following day, the fifth years made their way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts class. When they entered, Holly and Harry were delighted to see Nymphadora Tonks standing in front of the class. They smiled brightly at her, but their smiles fell when they noticed that Tonks had a frown on her face and looked at something at the back of the class. Holly and Harry took their seats with Hermione and Neville and waited for Tonks to address the class.

But before Tonks could say anything, They heard a simpering voice at the back of the room, “Good morning, class.”

Holly's eyes widened, and she turned to look at Harry, who had the same look on his face. They and the others in the class slowly turned around and were shocked to see Dolores Umbridge standing by the door. The pink toad smiled and giggled, “I'm happy to see all of your smiling faces again.”

Neville, who was sitting with Harry, turned and looked at him with a confused look on his face, “I thought you said that she was fired?”

“She was, at least that's what Sirius told Holly and me.”

As if she had heard what Harry and Neville were talking about, the pink toad made her way to the front of the class and stood in front of Tonks, “I suppose you're wondering why there are two professors in this class. Unfortunately, I will no longer be teaching you Defense Against the Dark Arts. Your new Professor will be Nymphadora Tonks. But by the Ministry decree, I have been made Hogwarts High Inquisitor. I shall be evaluating each class and will no longer have time to teach. ”

There was a murmur that ran through the class; at least they were going to be spared listening to Umbridge's drivel. Maybe now they could learn how to defend themselves.

As if reading the class's thoughts, Professor Umbridge continued, “Even though I will no longer be teaching you, Professor Tonks will still be following the course requirements that have been set forth by the Ministry,” Umbridge said then gave a simpering laugh. She then turned to Tonks and nodded, “You may begin your class now, Professor Tonks.”

Tonks gritted her teeth but told the class to take out their books and turn to chapter five, and begin reading. Professor Umbridge nodded then made her way to the back of the class to continue to observe the class. As soon as class was over, the students filed out quietly and went on to their next class and a few minutes later Umbridge showed up in that class as well. And so it went that every class Holly and Harry went to, Professor Umbridge was standing in the back observing. Occasionally she would interrupt the class to ask the Professor useless and annoying questions. By the time dinner rolled around, Holly was exhausted and irritated beyond belief.  She plopped down in her seat at the Gryffindor table between Hermione and Harry.

“This day has been exhausting,” Holly said with a sigh, “I thought having Umbridge as our professor was bad enough, but as the High Iquistitor, it's going to be much worse.”

“I agree, Holly, especially since Umbridge can sack whichever professor she doesn't like,” Hermione reminded her, “Then she can replace them with some other Ministry lackey.”

“Did you see how frustrated Tonks was?” Neville questioned, “You could tell she wanted to teach us how to defend ourselves but she didn't want to go against Umbridge.”

Harry nodded, “I was hoping that with Umbridge gone things would settle down, but I was wrong,” Harry said with a sigh.

The others agreed then served themselves their dinner and began to eat. Afterwards, they headed back to the Gryffindor Common Room so that they could get started on the homework that they had. Even though Umbridges's presence in each class was disturbing, the professors still gave the students a ton of homework to help them prepare for their OWL's exam.

SORRY THIS CHAPTER IS SO SHORT, THAT'S ALL I COULD THINK OF FOR RIGHT NOW. HOPEFULLY THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE LONGER.