Chapter 37 Christmas Day

As the party progressed, Holly and Viktor stayed close to each other. They danced every waltz and sat and talked with the other couples. When dinner was served, the three pairs sat together and chatted. Holly told Viktor what was happening at Hogwarts and that she and Harry started teaching other students Defense Against The Dark Arts. Viktor thought it was a great idea, “If you are not allowed to learn to defend yourselves, then someone must teach the other students,” He told the twins.

Holly and Harry explained their plan of getting wands that didn't have the trace so that they could learn the Unforgivable spells and some Dark spells as well. Viktor and Alek agreed that they should learn Dark spells as well.

Viktor could see that Harry was uncomfortable with that, “Harry, just because you learn Dark spells, it does not make you Dark. Your ministry has corrupted vhat is good, and vhat is bad. There have alvays been a balance between light and dark magic. You cannot haff one vithout the other,” Viktor explained.

“Dark magic is not evil; it is another form of magic, that is all. Black magic is entirely different, though,” Alek added, “Many atrocious things are done to perform Black magic. So many I will not tell you,” Alek informed the others, “Black magic is truly evil.”

The teens looked at each other, surprised. Why had no one told them the difference? They wondered. Holly suspected that it was Dumbledore's doing as well to keep them ignorant and under his control as so-called Light families. If anything, Holly considered her family now to be grey. Remus, who had also been listening, began to think the same thing. He and Holly were usually on the same wavelength.

As they ate their meal, Holly told Viktor about her, Harry, and the others getting untraceable wands. Viktor and Alek thought it was a good idea, and they volunteered to take their girlfriends and the others to Bulgaria to get new rods from Gregoravich. The only problem was how they would get the others to go with them. Alek came up with the perfect solution. He stood and got everyone's attention, “I vould like to thank Remus and Sirius for inviting Viktor and me to spend Christmas vith you all. And I vould like to ask the parents of Ginny and Neville if they could join the rest of us in Bulgaria to celebrate New Year's?”

Molly and Arthur talked about it and agreed, as did Mrs. Longbottom. The only problem was Luna; her father wasn't there to ask his permission. Luna smiled, “I already asked Daddy, and he said it was fine,” Luna answered in her dreamy voice. Harry beamed at Luna; he didn't want to go to Bulgaria without his girlfriend. So, now that it was settled, everyone continued with the party.

Christmas morning, Holly was up early. She wanted to see the sunrise. Holly quickly dressed, and she and Archimedes went downstairs and headed for the garden. She stood and watched the sunrise; Archimedes was playing in the snow that covered the ground. It had snowed the night before, and the backyard looked like a winter wonderland. Holly shivered from the snow that was lightly falling. Suddenly, strong arms encircled Holly, making her feel warmer.

“Vhat are you doing out here so early, My Luff?” Viktor asked as he kissed the side of Holly's head. Viktor quickly cast a warming charm around them when he felt Holly shiver.

Holly looked up at her boyfriend and kissed his chin, “Nothing, only enjoying the sunrise,” Holly answered, “It's beautiful, isn't it?”

Viktor agreed, “It is, but I think it vould be better if ve vent inside. I do not want you to catch a cold.”

Holly nodded and let Viktor lead her inside. When they got to the kitchen, Winky was waiting for them with two steaming cups of hot chocolate with marshmallows. Holly and Viktor thanked the little House Elf and went to the living room and sat by the fire, and enjoyed their hot chocolate while Winky prepared breakfast. The large windows let them see the snow falling outside; it was snowing harder now.

Holly sat between Viktor's legs and leaned back against him, enjoying the warmth radiating off of him. Viktor set his cup down and hugged Holly to him, and kissed her temple. That was the way Remus found them when he came downstairs. He smiled at the couple and greeted them, “Merry Christmas, Holly, Viktor.”

The pair looked at Remus and smiled, “Merry Christmas,” They chorused.

“I see Holly got you up at dawn, Viktor,” Remus commented.

Viktor nodded, then kissed Holly's cheek. Remus chuckled, “Holly has been doing that every Christmas morning since she was a baby,” Remus informed Viktor.

A few moments later, Sirius and the others come downstairs; all wearing the sweaters Mrs. Weasley had knitted for them. Mrs. Weasley handed Holly and Viktor their sweater gifts, and the young couple stood then went upstairs to change. Once everyone was ready, they went to the dining room, where Winky served breakfast.

The group had a lovely breakfast and then went into the living room to open their gifts. The group was loud and laughing as they opened their presents. Everyone was having a great time, even Ron. He was surprised that he was invited to the Potter Mansion along with the rest of his family. He was prepared to stay at Hogwarts alone, but Harry asked him to join them for Christmas, and he happily agreed, though Ron was a little sad that he wouldn't spend the holidays with Lavander. Ron got the surprise of his life when the fire roared to life, and Lavander stepped out.

“Lavander, what are you doing here?” Ron asked as he hugged and kissed his girlfriend.

Lavender beamed at her boyfriend, “Well, I was invited to the party last night as a surprise for you, but I couldn't go. My parents were also hosting a party, but they let me come to spend Christmas with you.” Lavander informed her boyfriend.

Ron turned to the others and thanked them, saying this was the best gift he could have received.

As the morning wound down, Holly noticed one gift left. She picked it up and saw no name on the box, “Huh, I wonder who this gift belongs to?”

Viktor smirked, “It is for you, my luff,” Viktor informed Holly.

She smiled and opened the box. Inside was a beautiful ring that pulsated with magic. Holly kissed her boyfriend and thanked him for the ring, “It is not an ordinary ring, Luff. I had it made especially for you. The ring has protective spells and will tell you if your food or drink has been tampered with,” Viktor told Holly.

He took the ring out of the box and put it on Holly's ring finger, “It also means something else.”

Holly looked at Viktor, confused, “What?”

“It is a promise ring that I vill alvays remain faithful to you, and that one day you and I will marry. That is if you accept.”

Holly gaped, and tears filled her eyes. She threw herself into Viktor's arms, “Yes, yes, of course, I accept!”

Viktor kissed his girlfriend as the others clapped. Viktor had been planning to give the promise ring to Holly for a while, and it took a little convincing to convince Remus and Sirius that he was genuine, more Sirius than Remus. When they finally accepted, Viktor was so happy that he almost didn't wait until Christmas, but after seeing Holly's reaction, it had been worth the wait.

The couple kissed, and when they broke apart, Viktor placed his forehead against Holly's, “I luff you so much, My Holly.”

Holly sighed and pecked Viktor's lips, “I love you too, My Viktor.”

With that, Remus had drinks given to everyone so that they could toast the happy couple.