Chapter 35 The Attack

It was late one night, a few days before the Christmas Holiday, that the Potter twins shared a dream. They dreamt that Arthur Weasley was attacked by a giant snake and had been seriously injured. Harry woke up with a gasp and ran downstairs to find his sister sitting on the sofa in tears. She looked at her twin, “Do you think it was real?” She asked Harry.

“I don't know, but we can't take any chances.”

Holly nodded, and together, they left to tell Professor McGonagall what they had dreamt. The Professor listened intently and concluded that they needed to inform Albus. She escorted the twins to Dumbledore's office and explained what the twins had seen. Dumbledore jumped into action, telling the portraits to get word to the Order that Arthur had been attacked and their children were on their way home. The whole time he's giving instructions, Dumbledore wouldn't look at the twins; until Harry and Holly get fed up with him ignoring them, “LOOK AT US!” Harry yelled.

Dumbledore paused and stared at the children; Holly looked frightened, “What's happening to us?” She asked.

At that moment, Snape came into the office, “You wanted to see me, Headmaster?”

“Oh, Severus. I'm afraid we can't wait. Not even till the morning. Otherwise, we'll all be vulnerable.”

Snape dragged Holly and Harry down to the dungeon and into his office, “It appears there is a connection between the Dark Lord's mind and your own. Whether he is, as yet, aware of this connection is, for the moment, unclear. Pray he remains ignorant.”

“You mean he'll be able to read our minds?” Holly questions.

“Read it, control it, unhinge it. In the past, it was often the Dark Lord's pleasure to invade the minds of his victims, creating visions designed to torture them into madness. Only after extracting the last exquisite ounce of agony, when he had them begging for death, would he finally kill them. Used properly, the power of Occlumency will help shield you from access or influence. In these lessons, I will attempt to penetrate your mind. You will attempt to resist. Prepare yourself! Legilimens! [Series of flashbacks] Concentrate, Potter. Focus,” Snape told Harry while Holly watched her brother struggle.

They continue to practice through the night, though Snape is easier on Holly than on Harry. After a few hours of practicing, Snape finally let the twins go to bed. He smirked when Harry and Holly walked out of the dungeon. He truly enjoyed torturing Harry. But he couldn't bring himself to do that to Holly; she looked too much like her mother, and Harry resembled his father, so it didn't bother him.

Later on that day, the twins flooed home, and Arthur and the rest of the Weasleys were there already. Mrs. Weasley greeted the twins with a fierce hug, as did the other Weasleys, except for Ron, who only shook their hands. A moment later, Arthur was wheeled into the living room, where he thanked the twins for saving his life. Holly carefully hugged Arthur so she wouldn't hurt him, and Harry did the same.

Afterward, Remus and Sirius stepped forward and hugged their children. Remus felt Holly hug him for dear life, and he knew something was wrong when he pulled away from her and looked into her green eyes.