I: Today Is The Day.

chapter one.
( today is the day. )

An eerie silence hangs in the chilly air of Wayne Manor that morning

An eerie silence hangs in the chilly air of Wayne Manor that morning. The fireplace crackles in the quiet, a comfortable warmth radiating from the fire that illuminates the estate's living room. Sitting at the end of the couch, Yue Harlow curls up in her seat, her legs pulled up to her chest and her gaze narrowed at the flip-phone in her hands. The sleeves of her black sweatshirt, embroidered with a yellow Batman symbol over her chest, are rolled up to her elbows as she rests them against the tops of her knees.

A sigh of frustration falls from her parted lips; another hour has passed without a message from her mentor. She stretches her legs out across the couch, one of her arms falling to limply lay over her stomach as the other hangs off the couch with the phone dangling in her hand.

It wasn't an unusual occurrence for the young hero to be left behind at the Manor while Batman and Robin performed duties befitting their roles as Gotham's Dynamic Duo. But being left behind on such a momentous day – the day she had been waiting for – was another problem entirely, and to make matters worse, neither her mentor nor his partner-in-heroics had called with an explanation for why they were taking so long to return.

They were cutting it close. They were supposed to be at the Hall of Justice in an hour!

With her mind elsewhere, Yue fails to notice the household's butler entering the living room. With his hands tucked gracefully behind his back, and his posture ever-so-straight, he stops in the doorway and clears his throat, "Miss Yue."

Yue's head snaps in his direction. Her dark eyes twinkle in excitement and a hopeful grin spreads across her lips, "Is it time?"

With a proud and knowing smile of his own, Alfred nods his head. Three years he had known her, helped raise her. Three years he had watched how hard she worked for this day to come. Every waking minute not dedicated to school-work was poured into the mask and her vow against crime.

Today, her hard-work would finally come to fruition. The Justice League was almost in her reach.

Yue eagerly jumps out of her seat, her phone long-forgotten on the cushions as she takes off down the hallway with a squeal of excitement. Faintly, she can hear Alfred's chastising for running in the halls and yet all she can do is laugh, "But, today's the day!"

 Faintly, she can hear Alfred's chastising for running in the halls and yet all she can do is laugh, "But, today's the day!"