XX: When You Play With Fate.

chapter twenty.
( when you play with fate. )

     Despite being cleared just over a week ago for active duty, the team stands inside the hangar bay in civvies as M'gann and Conner carry crates out of the Bioship

     Despite being cleared just over a week ago for active duty, the team stands inside the hangar bay in civvies as M'gann and Conner carry crates out of the Bioship. Batman stands off to the side, his arms crossed over his hero suit as his masked eyes scan over the boxes. "Did you get everything?" He asks when Conner sets two boxes down in front of him.

"Everything on your list, Batman," M'gann answers cheerfully as she carefully drops the two crates she had been holding up. "Plus groceries," she adds with a grin.

Wally sprints towards the Martian, his lips curling into a bright smile as his eyes rake over the contents of the first crate. "Cookie fixins?" He questions– when M'gann had started asking the team to add to the shopping list for the week, cookie fixins were the first thing added by the speedster. Essentials were the last things on his mind.

"Snickerdoodle," she says more precisely. Her eyes glow as she telekinetically lifts a bag of Snickerdoodle cookie fixins from the groceries and drops them into Wally's waiting hands.

He sighs contentedly, "You rock my world."

Yue stands off to the side, tying both crates of medical supplies together, and lifts her gaze to glance over at her boyfriend. "You rock my world," she repeats with a teasing grin. "Babe, you're starting to sound like your uncle."

"Since when was that a bad thing?" He raises a brow as he looks at her over his shoulder. "The Flash is funny."

"More like, corny." Dick chimes in with a laugh, his hands falling from the crate of supplies as he faces Wally. Even with sunglasses covering his eyes, they don't miss the playful look on his face. "There's a reason The League hates his jokes."

Wally hisses, "Dude!"

The elevator doors hiss open behind them and Artemis, who had been sent to retrieve Zatanna upon her arrival at the cave a few minutes ago, strolls into the hangar with the magician. "Glad you're back, Zatanna," the archer states, her voice quiet under the laughter of Yue and Dick as they tease Wally. "Does this mean you're officially joining the team?"

The two girls halt in front of the large elevator and a frown tugs at Zatanna's lips as her eyes fall onto her father. "I don't know. Zatara's so overprotective," she answers with a sigh. "Just getting him to let me visit takes a full day of meddling. I just wish he'd give me some space."

"Babe, look what else M'gann got." Wally steps away from the food crate with a bag of freeze-dried Chicken Whizees in his hand. Yue's eyes light up as they fall onto the red and yellow bag, one of her hands stretching out to catch the small snack as her boyfriend throws it to her.

"You know what," she glances over at M'gann, "I take it back, you rock my world too, Megs."

Zatara repeats a backward chant as he points his cane toward the crates of medical supplies, one by one the boxes lift into the air and begin to fly toward the elevator. Then, as Batman and Red Tornado turn towards the magician, they all disappear and the crates crash against the ground with a loud bang that forces the team to turn around.