XVIII: Forgiveness.

chapter eighteen.
( forgiveness. )

     Curled under the green blankets of Wally's single bed, Yue thought that, just maybe, she'd be able to forget about the simulation

     Curled under the green blankets of Wally's single bed, Yue thought that, just maybe, she'd be able to forget about the simulation. She couldn't. She died.

It was vague, nothing more than a feeling and a flash of light because thank god M'gann didn't know what death by fiery explosion truly felt like enough to transmit the real feeling to her in that mind game they called a simulation, but whenever she closes her eyes, she can still see it.

That's enough, she thinks.

She doesn't need the true feeling of burning alive, she doesn't need to know what death really feels like because she can see it behind closed eyelids – she can see Wally and Dick disappearing in the explosion, she can remember watching Bruce die on the camera, and she can feel Superboy's pain through a mind-link that's been shut down since waking – and she knows it's enough for her.

She rolls onto her side, pressing her lips together for a moment before she whispers into the dark night. "You awake, Wal?"

Mary West, after Wally had brought Yue home and realised something was clearly different between the two, had decided that while Yue would take her son's bed, Wally would sleep on the floor for the night. So, buried under a pile of spare blankets from the back of the linen closet, Wally answers. "Yeah... I can't sleep."

"Me either," she murmurs. In a matter of seconds, Wally pushes back his blankets and then joins her under the sheets on his bed. He lays on his side, facing her as she stares at him with a sad smile. "Hi..."

"Hey." He grins, halfheartedly, then adjusts the pillow under his head to make himself comfortable. "Can I-" His smile falls as he stares into her eyes. "Can I ask you something, birdy?"

"Of course." With her cheek still pressed to the silk pillow under her face, she nods her head.

Silence washes over them for a moment, only the faint sounds of the neighbourhood at night echoing in the dark until he murmurs. "If you and Rob never came up with that plan, would you have still told me you loved me?" His question has her eyes widening in surprise. When she shakes her head in response, he frowns. "Why not?"

"I just- I thought you didn't feel the same." Her cheeks heat up in embarrassment as she explains. "I've been in love with you for years, Wally. I guess I kinda told myself I'd be fine with you not feeling the same as long as we were still friends."

"Years?" He breathes out, his face burning red as she talks. "I could barely keep quiet about it for a few months, let alone years."

"Months?" Her brows furrow as she tries to pinpoint the moment Wally has begun to change around her. When she can't, she glances back at him. "When did you know?"