XXVI: The Worst is Over.

chapter twenty-six.
( the worst is over. )

Exhaustion weighs down on every bone in Yue's body as she tiredly trails behind her team

Exhaustion weighs down on every bone in Yue's body as she tiredly trails behind her team. She had arrived at the Manor so late after their mission, only managing to get a few hours of sleep before Dick woke her up claiming they were being called to the Cave.

Stretching her arms over her head, Yue tilts her head back for only a moment before she glances down at the boy walking beside her. Dick was already dressed in his Robin outfit before she woke up that morning. "It's not like it's unusual for Bats to stay out all night," she assures him. "I would say he does it more often than he gets eight hours of sleep."

He was worried when their mentor didn't come home last night. He was worried when they woke up and he still wasn't home. "That's not what I meant," Dick shakes his head. "When have you ever known Batman to not come home early from a party?"

She presses her lips into a thin line. Bruce, despite the playboy persona he projected to the public, was a homebody. Dick was right to suggest something was wrong if he stayed all night at the Watchtower for the induction party.

"Chalk it down to a New Year's miracle?" She waves her brother off. "Let's just be happy he's not gonna be mad about last night. I mean, we took down the Injustice League's allies all on our own!"

"Flamebird is right," Kaldur states. He walks just ahead of the two Gothamites while the rest of the team is shortly behind– except for Wally, who walks in line with both Dick and Yue as he always does. "We have reason to be proud of yesterday's victory. But one thing has not changed–"

"Somehow, the bad guys are still getting inside intel about us." Dick sighs.

"Yeah, but-" Wally throws an arm around Yue's shoulders, his lips curling into a bright smile. "-At least we know none of us is the mole."

"That's correct." Batman had caught the tail-end of their conversation as they entered the mission briefing room. Each member of the team slowly glances his way, while he calmly announces, "The mole was Red Arrow."

"Roy?" Dick gasps quietly, betrayal flashing across his face.

"No way!" Wally's hands curl into fists as his arm drops back to his side.

Yue's heart falls to her stomach, his words wiping the smile off her face instantaneously. "You're joking," she murmurs in shock. "This is a New Year's joke, right? We've known Roy for years, he wouldn't do this to us."

"Unfortunately, the Roy Harper we have known for the last three years is another Project Cadmus clone." Red Tornado informs the silent team.

"We've learned the real Speedy was abducted and replaced immediately after becoming Green Arrow's sidekick," Batman explains with a small sigh. "The clone was pre-programmed with a drive to join the Justice League, which is why he was so angry over any delays to his admission and why he refused to join the team."