XVI: Nuclear Winter.

chapter sixteen.
( nuclear winter. )

     The team stand in the centre of the training room, while the majority of the team is split into teams of two for sparring practice, Yue and Wally sit off to the side of the room

     The team stand in the centre of the training room, while the majority of the team is split into teams of two for sparring practice, Yue and Wally sit off to the side of the room. It had been a week since their fight against the Injustice League. Wally wears a cast around his right arm, which had been broken by Black Adam during the fight. Yue, on the other hand, was benched by Batman for her "reckless" actions with the Helmet.

She couldn't blame him really, but that didn't mean she was happy being unable to go on missions with her team.

"Good work, everyone." Black Canary addresses the team as she steps into the centre circle, switching off training mode with a tap of her foot. "In fact, it's been a very productive week."

"Yeah, for everyone but Kid Malingerer," Artemis laughs.

"Hey!" Wally defends himself with a wave of his cast, "Arm broken in combat against the Injustice League here."

Yue snickers, "Don't you have super healing, Wal?" As she raises a brow, his eyes narrow playfully in her direction.

Canary chuckles from behind the team. "I've really enjoyed being your, uh, den-mother this week," she says with a smile.

"Recognised: Zatara, One-One." Zatara walks out of the zeta-tube but doesn't say anything; instead, he steps over to the control panel beside the tube and taps a few of the buttons. "Access granted: Zatanna Zatara, A-Zero-Three. Authorisation: Zatara, One-One."

Rising to her feet, Yue glances at the zeta-tube in surprise as a young girl – she couldn't have been older than herself, or younger than Dick – strolls into the Cave. "Zatanna, this is the team," Zatara announces to the young girl. "Team, my daughter, Zatanna."

Yue's eyes widened slightly, though now that he's mentioned it, she could totally see the family resemblance. Zatanna was a little on the short side, with long jet-black hair and a shy smile gracing her face as she sheepishly waved to the teens.

M'gann, with a bright grin, is the first to fly over to her. "Hi, I'm-"

"Robin!" The Boy Wonder cuts the Martian off as he jumps in front of her. His cheeks heat up and he clears his throat awkwardly when the girl stares at him. "I mean, I'm Robin. She's M'gann, and that's Wally, Yue, Artemis, Kaldur and Conner."

Standing almost at the back of the group, a few steps ahead of Conner and Artemis, and beside Wally, Yue can't stop the teasing grin that tugs at her lips while watching her foster brother talk. He had found girls pretty before, but she could count on one hand the number of girls who made him awkward enough to shout his name at them.

"Welcome to the Cave." Kaldur walks forward to greet Zatanna.

"Thanks," she smiles sheepishly.

"So, uh-" Dick's voice cracks as he wonders, "Are you joining the team?"