XII: Who We Are.

chapter twelve.
( who we are. )

     Yue awoke, disoriented with a pounding migraine, to the feeling of somebody shaking her

Yue awoke, disoriented with a pounding migraine, to the feeling of somebody shaking her. She slowly opened her eyes, wincing as the bright sun glared down at her, barely blocked by the row of large boulders at her side. She blinks once, then twice, as her eyes take in her surroundings. Various questions fill her mind– from why she was lying in the middle of what looked like a sandy desert, to why her suit was black and grey rather than red and gold.

Her dark gaze falls onto Dick, who sits beside her in his Robin suit, his hands tightly wrapped around her shoulders. He was the one shaking her, she realises. "Di- Robin, what's going on?" Her voice comes out hoarse, no doubt a side-effect of being in the desert for who knows how long.

"I was kinda hoping you'd be the one with answers." With a heavy sigh, Robin falls back against his calves. The sound of a humvee breaks the silence that had washed over them, Robin – while Yue remains still to collect her thoughts – peeks his head out from behind the boulders. "Those are Bialyan republican army uniforms! But what are Bialyans doing in-" He glances down at the screen of his gauntlet, his eyes widening as a small map appears to reveal their location. "Bialya?!"

"Bialya?" Yue repeats as she glances over the boy's shoulder. The two red dots marking their location were right, they were in Bialya, but why? They, two Gotham heroes, had no business travelling alone to the foreign country. The Justice League wasn't allowed here. "What are we doing in Bialya?"

"And in September!" Robin points to the bottom of the screen, where the date – September 4th – was painted. "What happened to March?"

Her memories were hazy, but the last thing she could remember with absolute certainty was that they were supposed to be in the middle of March. So, what happened to the last six months?

"Look!" She reaches out to point toward a blue marker on the map. "GPS marker. Must be why we're here."

"Better radio Batman." Robin reaches up for the comms device in his ear, only to stop himself with a sigh. "He ordered radio silence," he remembers as a hazy memory flashes through his head. "We're on our own."

"Great." Yue frowns as she moves to stand up, dusting the sand out of her hair as she stares down at the boy. "We have to keep radio silence and try to remember why we're missing a whole six months worth of memories."

Robin strolls toward one of the nearby boulders, his brows furrowing behind his domino mask as he reaches out for a torn piece of black cloth. The red Superman emblem painted across the centre of the fabric only raised more questions than answers.

It was going to be a long day...

The burning sun had set by the time the two heroes, trekking through the sand on foot, arrived by the GPS marker on their maps. "Wish I could remember why I put a marker here," Robin complains as he runs just behind Yue.