Chapter 1: The Attack

"Move!" A voice yelled as you were tackled onto the creaky, rotted wood that made up the floorboards. There was pure fear coursing through your body as a boney, inhuman hand burst through the wooden wall, claws swishing back and forth just an inch from your face.

Before the creature could break in, a bullet pierced through its limb, causing the monster to roar out in pain and retreat. Tilting your head to the side, you could see a fellow survivor with a pistol held in his quivering hands.

The small house was filled by four people including yourself. Hank, Kate, Derek and Nea. There were a lot more villagers taking shelter in other homes as this had become a norm for them. In this place, trust wasn't something that came about easily. The five of you had been together since you first arrived. They were the only villagers to welcome and accept you. They probably knew you'd be dead if you were on your own.

A hand gripped your arm, pulling you from your thoughts and pulling you up to your feet. Hank (the one who tackled you) held a firm grip until you were upright. His grey hair curled over to one side, reflecting the fact he was reaching an older age.

"These Lycan attacks are getting more and more frequent." He said, peeking through the boarded windows as he scouted for the previous Lycan and others.

"Thanks for saving my ass." You said gratefully but he waved you off, telling you there was no time for thanks.

You'd arrived in the village 6 months ago, 7 if you rounded it up. What you thought to be a quiet, secluded town to settle in was much, much worse. Constant attacks from beasts and hearing word of humanoid vampires that would bleed you dry and use your blood for wine (according to rumour at least). It was a miracle the town hadn't collapsed in on itself yet.

A distant scream made a chill course through your body. The cries only increasing, just as the feeling of dread in the room did.

"Don't those bastards ever get tired of this?" Your hand reached down to retrieve the knife in your pocket. At the moment, you were the only one without a firearm; not that it would matter if you did. You had only ever fired a gun a few times before, so your aim wasn't exactly sharp.

A howl echoed out through the village, notifying you that another wave was on the way. Attacks could last for hours, only ending when the creatures were called away by whoever their master was.

"They're coming back." Nea confirmed, cocking the shotgun that rested in her palms. Her black hair was held back into a scruffy ponytail. It didn't look perfect, but it got the job done: keeping her hair out of her face during times like this.

The room fell silent, the only noise being the thuds and bumps that ran along the ceiling. Derek and Nea both aimed their shotguns upwards, tracking the footsteps with the weapons in case the invaders burst through the roof. You simply held onto your knife as sweat dripped down your body, even in the cold climate.

Suddenly a harsh bang hit the door and the entire frame rattled. The others pointed their guns at the door while you held up your weapon in a defensive stance. What could you honestly do? Walk out there and ask them nicely to leave?

While everyone was distracted with the door, a body flew through the window with a snarl. The Lycan landed at your feet, attempting to bite at you in classic zombie movie fashion. Hell, you'd take zombies over these things.

Kate put a bullet from her revolver into the Lycan's chest, making the creature flinch midway through its bite. You took the opening and slammed your knife straight through the thing's pale face and through its skull. It was dead.