Chapter 9: Caught Red Handed

The room glowed in a warm amber light, showing off the quiet and calm features of the place. Just like the rest of the house, the bedroom was warm, and lucky for you there was no Bela in sight. There was a second door in the wall to your right, a few rays of light peeking out from inside but you brushed it off as a storage room or something.

"And the gods finally answer to my pleading." You muttered, knowing you would never usually have luck on your side. You closed the door behind you as quietly as possible before searching the room. You first looked at the nightstand, finding only a lamp and an empty chalice.

There was a drawer inside the stand and you pulled it open by the handle. Again, there was no key. Though there was a black covered book inside; no writing, no imagery. You took the book and shut the drawer before examining the item. Wasn't Daniela the bookworm of the family?

There was a red bookmark sticking out of the bottom, so you skipped to that page. All you found was today's date and blank lines. With a huff you flicked back a few pages so you could actually find some useful information.

September 21st, 2021.

I can't believe that stupid man-thing would dare to insult me how he did. Acting like I don't have a hobby? Just who the hell does he think he is... Although I can't help but wonder. If I keep telling myself I hate him so much, why is it we kept him. Why is it I can't stop thinking about him... Maybe I'll figure it out. As long as the man-thing stays put in his room, there should be no more problems.

September 21st, 2021.

The man-thing disobeyed me?! I warned him not to leave that room, yet he did it anyway. Is he trying to anger me? Is he after my attention? Is that it? Then again it's Daniela I should be mad at. She knew what she was doing and it's not like he could've disagreed with her else he wanted to be slaughtered. I should speak with my sisters about this. But first we need to recapture our pet.

September 23rd, 2021.

Cassandra has been acting odd lately. During dinner, she refused to drink from one of the maidens and left to her room after saying she "wasn't hungry". At first I thought it was something to do with mother being gone for so long, but that seems unlikely. Whenever I ask her about encounters with the man-thing, she declines seeing him. It's a lie. I know it is. I can only hope that mother will return soon and set things straight.

September 24th, 2021.

I can't believe it...
Daniela spoke of her hunt with the man-thing. She had cornered him in the Merchant's room and had the chance to drag him back to his old home in the dungeons, yet she didn't. According to her, our guest has a keen interest in our musical equipment. So much so that he took a guitar without anyone knowing.
When I asked her more about what happened, all she said was she fed and left. She's hiding something from me...

September 25th, 2021.

That stupid man-thing! I had been enjoying the hunt, chasing him through the castle for minutes and minutes. But then that bastard threw one of mother's plants at me! My outfit is ruined and now I'm going to have to clean myself. I suppose I should stick with water rather than blood this time.

September 25th, 2021.

You reached the bookmark again, just staring at the blank paper as you registered everything you had just read. This must be Bela's diary... Oh, lord. If she knew you'd read it then you'd experience an end worse than death. If that was possible anymore. You'd already experienced a lot.

As you made to put the diary back inside the nightstand, the lock of the door behind you clicked open. You froze in place as the "storage room" opened up. You hesitantly turned around, facing whatever the hell was about to come your way.