Chapter 11: Freezing

These ladies really needed to get their act together. Two times in a row you had managed to slip through their fingers because of an argument. But, hey. You weren't going to complain about the nuclear sibling rivalry if it kept saving your ass.

As soon as the two started their little "ah, fuck you", "no, fuck you" sha-bang, you went and dashed like this was the olympics. Now you were springing along the carpets of the halls as you thought up your game plan.

You couldn't go back to the merchant's room anymore, otherwise Cassandra and Daniela would find you. The room Bela gave you was an even worse idea and a place they'd certainly check.

Maybe you could slip out into the courtyard and make your way further down the south side of the castle... You'd gotten a glance at it when Cassandra chased you from the library. The place looked damn cold, but maybe they wouldn't check there.

You couldn't really stay in the freezing outdoors, but you could use it as a stepping stone to get down to the other rooms. Yeah. Yeah, that'd work... maybe. Excluding the fact your chances of survival were dwindling from running off again, things seemed to be going well.

Now you just had to make it to the door and- Oh, for fuck's sake!

You paused as you turned a corner, seeing Cassandra roaming down the hall towards you. Her sickle was in hand and she looked flustered for some reason. If you didn't know any better, you'd say she got scolded by her mother. Then again, you didn't even know where Lady Dimitrescu was. You hadn't seen her since your arrival.

In a swift movement, you snapped back behind the wall and started shuffling in the opposite direction. One tippy toe at a time... You didn't really want to start sprinting in case she heard you.

Down the hall, you heard Cassandra's footsteps stop dead. A hum left her lips and she let out two long sniffs. Did they just install near air freshener or something- Oh, wait...

You ran a finger along your neck, then down to your chest over your shirt. Your wounds were still open... And she referenced how she could smell your blood from two halls away last time... Well, ain't that about a bitch.

"Aha. I found you, man-thing." Cassandra beamed with malicious intent. Her pace increased and she began speed walking down towards the corner you were sweating behind.

Why couldn't you have stumbled into the house of some nice tea drinking, book reading fellow? No, you chose the Mikaelson family instead. But then again, even comparing them to the Mikaelsons was offensive. At least Niklaus was cool.

After finally returning to the present situation, you took off in a sprint back down the hallway you came from as Cassandra came reeling around to spot you. Her eyes lit up with hunger as she found her senses to be true.

"There you are!" She ran her tongue over her teeth, dashing after you with a cackle. Oh, no, no, no. That was not okie dokie. You shot through a door, finding yourself in the library. Wow, you were actually a lot closer to your original destination than you thought.

You swished around one of the bookshelves, grabbing one of the books on the way as Cassandra came bursting in from behind you. She dove forward with a swarm of those weird flies to propel herself, a gloved hand out stretching towards you.

Whether it was intellect or stupidity that drove you, your wrist twisted and you launched the hardcover book in your hand straight towards her. The novel slammed into her face, drawing a cry of surprise from her lungs.

The vampire toppled over one of the soft cushion chairs nearby, stunned by the sheer audacity of the attack as her anger began to spike. To return to the question of intellect or stupidity... definitely stupidity. She wasn't gonna let that one slide.