Chapter 12: Angel

"Darling, I'm a nightmare

"Darling, I'm a nightmare... dressed like a daydream," Blank Space by Taylor Swift

I kept my eyes glued to the ground, so it was the white clothed feet I noticed first

I kept my eyes glued to the ground, so it was the white clothed feet I noticed first. I felt lucky to have actual shoes. Slowly, I glanced around. The independents were gathered around a couple of rectangular tables that were cemented into the ground with benches soldered to the side. A few were sitting on top of it, elbows resting on their bent knees.

My heart pounded. I dug my fingernails into my palms, cringing at the sharp pain of half-moon imprints. There were too many calculating eyes staring. I wanted to crawl in my bed, snuggle up to Ember, sing her a song before a nap, and let her even breathing lull me to sleep too. I wanted to feel safe again.

The sharp sting of my teeth biting into my lip helped me stay focused. Angel was my goal. I had to find him. I carefully searched the inmate's faces. If I could just see his face I wouldn't have to worry about making eye contact with anyone unsavory, but the gnawing thought that he might not be an independent made me pause.

Officer MJ put us in a line facing forward. He walked down that line twice before he stopped in front of me. With his black metal baton he tapped my wrist. "Put your arms down."

My reaction was instant, and the minute I did what he said, I saw a slow smile teasing the corner of his mouth, and he nodded. I frowned as I watched him twirl his baton as he walked away. I couldn't place my finger on it but something about him made me wary. He was good-looking with dark hair and blue eyes. His nose was a little crooked and there was a small cleft in his upper lip, but overall he was pleasing to look at. It wasn't his looks that made me nervous. Maybe it's his pseudo-kindness. Or the fact that I owe him a favor and I have no idea what type of person he is.

Fuck my life.

"Sarge, no show today?" a female voice asked.

"I've told you, I'm not a sergeant, Bee," Officer MJ said, turning towards the only petite blonde among the independents. He offered her a smile, and then pointed his baton up, "Got the good seats this time."

Bee's jaw clenched, but I don't think Officer MJ noticed. She bowed her head and licked her lips, taking a deep breath. "Does that mean the other guards will be participating?"