Chapter 15: Cannibals

"You belong to me, my snow white queen

"You belong to me, my snow white queen."

"I'm losing my mind and you just stand there and stare as my world divides!"

We were quiet as we walked past other stands. It was the prison-ized version of a strip mall in Uptown. Anything an inmate could desire. Sex, drugs, food, music--banned music... I let my eyes linger a minute longer and dragged my feet so I could see some of the titles.

"Come on," Rafe grunted with irritation as he jerked me forward. "You're the one that wanted to talk in private. It's only a little farther."

'A little farther' was about twenty feet and then we went behind a beaded curtain that covered an ominous black door, with fingernail scratches and skull drawings. "Are you taking me to the third level?"

I saw the glint of his eyes as he turned his neck and stared at me over his shoulder. "We're on the fifth level."

"I thought there was only three levels in this prison."

He didn't turn around as he placed his hand on the red door knob. "Officially there are only three levels."

"Oh."

He pushed the door open and I looked straight up, and up, and up. Who knew a prison could have a tiny mud covered mountain. "We have to go all the way up there?"

"Yes. It's worse than it looks, but it's worth it. Come on."

"Is this a good time to tell you I'm afraid of heights?"

He turned and gave me a tight lipped sneer. "You won't notice the height, not enough light to see behind you. We're running, try to keep up with me. Let's go."

Fuck.

My chest was on fire, my calves burned, and sweat coated my forehead by the time we reached the top. "I know what Alice felt like now," I said, still panting for breath.

"Alice? Who's she?"

"You've never heard of Alice in Wonderland? It's a wonderful book."

"I don't read," he mumbled. "Not in here."