Chapter 13: Jax

"How the hell did this shit happen?" Drunk In Love by Beyoncé --This song has nothing to do with this chapter, I just like the lyric

Rafe had gone back to the table, lazing on the bench like he was bathing in a nonexistent sun. He had an 'I don't care' expression plastered on his face as his clothed foot jiggled on the ground. I focused on his scarred face. It was him.

I wrapped my arms around my fluttering stomach.That beautiful, carefree man in the picture was gone. His bottom lip had a deep laceration. There was a white scar permanently etched into the line of his left eyebrow. A fleshier pinkish scar curved down the far side of his jaw, and the bandages on his arms were patched with fresh blood.

My heart skipped when he locked his gaze with mine. My breath caught and I jerked my head down. I exhaled and lifted my head up to see him still looking at me. There was darkness in him that the picture hadn't portrayed. His used-to-be sparkling happy eyes were now dull, almost lifeless. I swallowed.Biting my bottom lip, I took a step towards him and then another.

Rafe raised an eyebrow at my movement, shaking his head. He gestured with his finger for me to stay put but I couldn't. I had to tell him that the mission was still on. That he needed to pick me so we could get this show on the road. I started forward with larger, more determined strides but was jerked back before I could get halfway across the room.

"Chica, you do not move from the line."

Exhaling as I noticed the Mohawk, I turned towards Jax, careful to keep my head bowed in a form of submission. Thank goodness it wasn't Queenie. "I don't mean to be disrespectful, but he wants me," I said, nodding my head towards Rafe.

"He does?" Jax asked, sounding genuinely surprised. "Rafe, she says you want her."

Rafe snorted and settled his back against the table. "I do?"

This jerk...

"Yes," I answered for him. "You want me on your team."

"Team? Is that what we're calling it these days?" Jax mumbled the question under his breath.