Chapter 1: Yuan

Author note: I've really done a lot of rearranging. This first chapter is now the fourth draft, but the rest of the chapters will be third drafts. Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. Hope you all enjoy the changes. I don't know Chinese/Pinyin - I used a translator.

"I can't escape this now unless you show me how," - Demons by Imagine Dragons

"At least he's not pot-bellied and balding. If I'm fertile our kids will be gorgeous," Harper said, running a brush through my honey-colored hair.

I sat in front of our cracked vanity mirror, minutes away from screaming. "He's a pedophile rapist," I whispered. "He's eleven years older than you!"

Harper's face hardened and the brush going through my rat-less hair jerked. "I'm nineteen, Kender! He's hardly a pedophile. Plus, you can't rape the willing and when the time comes, I will be. Willing, I mean." She stumbled over her words and cleared her throat. "I will be ready. I have to be ready."

"He's ancient compared to you!"

"Suí tā ba!"

I shook my head, dislodging my glasses. I lifted a finger and pushed the black rimmed spectacles back up my nose. "I can't let it go."

"You know age doesn't matter anymore. I wish Momma would stop filling your head with that nonsense. It could've been worse, Kender. He could've been worse. Do you understand? I'm lucky compared to the others."

"Do you - wait... are you looking forward to this?" I asked.