Apologise

Listening to my playlist of shuffle and ended up writing this.

SONG: Apologise (One Republic)

••••

In the midst of the final battle the stakes hit another level and Marinette was barely keeping it together. She needed to think, but the continuous stab of betrayal played her every thought.

She was currently hanging by her yo-yo, partner attached, as she lowered them down into the recently cataclysm entrance into the Agreste basement.

As Adrien's feet hit the floor, he cradled his partner in his arms and hugged her body close to his.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, "I'm so, so sorry."

Tears streaming down her face, she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck, settling into the crook allowing him to anchor her, to be her stability.

The two heroes were battered and tired.

Using the remainder of their strength they pulled themselves together, knowing that the battle was far from over.

The Agreste mansion was in ruins. Destruction from Chat Noir's cataclysms, plus the attack on akumas and amoks. Many recharges, and lucky charms later they were ready to face their final challenge.

"Come on, Kitty. We need to end this."

Adrien let go of Marinette and helped her onto her feet. It was in times like this his love just expanded for her. Her strength and resilience. Her fight when everything was against her.

They walked forward to meet their rivals. Both heroes suffering from the heartbreak caused by the people currently standing in front of them.

"Don't forget I love you, and will be with you through this." She whispered to the black cat standing next to her. "You mean everything to me, Chaton, we'll get through this."

He held her hand and squeezed, indicating that the same applied to her. When they found themselves at the Agreste mansion Adrien had no choice but to let his partner in on his identity. No reaction was made, apart from a hug. A hug filled with emotion and the chance to discuss more later.

They stopped in front of their enemies; new and old. A butterfly, a peacock and a fox.

"Alya, why did you do this? Do you have any idea what you have done?" Marinette's voice echoed through the empty chamber.

The fox was on her knees.

"I told you," Marinette continued, voice breaking, "I told you what she was like and you trusted her. You told her the one secret I trusted only you with."

"I'm sorry," the red head sobbed out, "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to."

"Didn't mean to?" Adrien chimed in. "I've been telling you for months what Lila was like, and now, now ... " Marinette wrapped a hand around his arm, trying to calm him down. She couldn't respond. She'd never felt so betrayed, and it hurt. It hurt a lot.

"So you know the bug here?" The middle aged male walked forward and crouched down next to Alya, taking her face in his hands. "Who is she?" He asked her.

"I can't," she cried, tears flowing freely in her desperate attempt to protect her friend. "Ladybug, help me please, I'm sorry."

A dam broke inside Marinette, and anger filled around her heart. Her eyes grew fiery, she had nothing left to say to the girl currently wanting her protection.

"It's too late to apologise. You've betrayed me." Poison flowed through her words. For once the protector of Paris was ready to leave fate to decide the outcome of this story.