The Aftermath of Lying [Post Season 4 - Wishmaker]

This one shot contains season 4 spoilers.

Aftermath of 'Wishmaker'.

******

Marinette sat on the end of her chaise brushing her hair as she watched the kwami's dance around in front of her. Some playing tag, some watching a cheesy action movie on her computer and others going through her belongings.

Normally, Marinette would be scalding them for messing with her things, especially those currently reading her diary, but right now she was numb. Brushing her hair and feeling ... numb.

Checking out the kwami's she began to count them; one, two, three, Longg, Sass, Roarr, seven, eight ... the counting continued until it didn't.

She was one kwami down.

One kwami was now with a permanent holder joining Tikki, Plagg and Trixx with a new home. Not forgetting Nooroo and Dusuu too.

It was quiet without Fluff. The little guy was a menace.

"You ok, Marinette?" Tikki's oh so sweet voice sounded in her ear, causing her to blink and move her focus.

"I will be," Marinette replied.

The numb feeling just wasn't going, and there was no need for it to continue. She'd fixed it. Like always she, and Chat Noir, had fixed it.

She scoffed to herself. Chat Noir. Oh, Chat Noir.

The events of the previous day ran through her head. How could so much change in only twenty four hours? It was as though someone had taken her life and flipped it around. If the stress of becoming Guardian was labelled intense then she couldn't even begin to name how she was feeling at the moment.

The day had started normally, but then it happened. The moment that turned her life upside down. Luka was akumatized. At first she thought nothing of it, apart from being able to give him a charm once they saved him and he'd be protected, she would be able to protect him, being that best friend she swore she would be.

But this battle didn't go to plan. Luka knew. Luka knew who she was, but worst of all he knew who Chat was too. She could have taken the betrayal of herself, but to see her partner being betrayed too. It was too much.

Both herself and Chat were at a fragile point as it was, bordering on breaking point and trying to knock down what had become a wall between them. Lies and truth pulling them further away. It was as though Shadowmoth knew they were momentarily temperamental and he knew exactly who to akumatize.

He had outsmarted her, understanding that Viperion used 'second chance' during their 'Wishmaker' battle. She should have recognised that too, after all Luka knew exactly what to do, and to whom to give her lucky charm.

The shock when he announced their identities to Shadowmoth had been too much. The magnitude of this revelation would live in her nightmares forever. They were shocked. Frozen in time after hearing their names come from Luka's akumatized mouth.

That hesitation was all Shadowmoth needed. The ring and earrings were taken, gone before they could comprehend what was happening.

So now she sat here. Numb.

Her friend had betrayed her. She couldn't blame him for the akumatisation, they never blamed the victims, but she could blame him for lying to her. Regardless of the reason he kept it a secret it wasn't his secret to keep.

He gave her no way of protecting him.

She hadn't known to protect herself.

She couldn't protect her partner.

The pain was just too much. She broke.

Releasing Luka from the akuma Shadowmoth sent a second. Straight for her.

It had taken. She had been akumatized.

Luka tried to calm her, to control the akuma, but her anger was pointed at the liar. He was the reason for 'Princess Justice', the reason she was currently going head to head against Alya.

Until she wasn't. Her partner. Her wonderful loyal partner who she'd taken for granted, who she'd denied love one too many times was there, holding her hands, shooting her the way no one else could. Talking to her and loving her the way she always dreamt he would.

Chat Noir had saved her, without the mask, without the power of the Miraculous.

It was at that moment she knew it was time to hand out the rabbit Miraculous. To get it to Alix and pass it on. To say Alix was shocked was an understatement but she knew she had a job to do and she did it.

So here she was ...

The day was about to start again, but first she needed to speak to Luka. To let him know how her heart was broken from his betrayal, he had lied to her. Not just hiding the secret, but lying to her face that he didn't know.

Kagami was right. She'd told Marinette 'How can you trust someone who's lied to you?', after all that was why she'd broken up with Adrien.

Adrien.

Adrien Agreste.

Adrien Agreste.

A sigh left Marinette's mouth, as she knew there would be no mind erasing this time, and that she would have to live forevermore knowing that Chat Noir is Adrien Agreste.