Impossible Thingz

chapter two; Impossible Thingz

JINX STARED at Hazel, watching as her smile fell when faun called Coach walked out.

"Are you sure you don't remember anything that could help us get Nico back?"

She shook her head. "I really don't remember any of it."

Hazel's golden eyes glazed over with tears.
"I was really hoping you did."

From what Jinx did remember, Hazel and Nico weren't that close. Nico cared for her, he brought her back from the dead after all, but they didn't talk much.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine."

But it wasn't. Jinx had a major feeling that they needed Nico, and needed her to remember. Silence crept up and covered them like a blanket. That was until the dinner bell sounded.

Soon the rest of the demigods and faun would be here.

The ones of the big three, Jason Grace -son of Jupiter, and Percy Jackson -son of Poseidon- stared at the chair she sat on. That only made her more lean further into it.

They ate in silence.
Jinx glared at her cup, a vein almost popping from her concentration.

Leo, the boy that had put her hair in fire, snorted. "Just think of what you want and it'll refill."

It was odd that the Greeks had something like this, their food source was different from the Romans.

She moved her glare to him. "Did I say I was having trouble?"

The rest kept their gaze on them, occasionally glancing at each other uneasily.

"So," Piper, the one who could charmspeak, spoke up. "Who did you say your godly parent is?"

"I didn't."

"Right..."

Hazel cleared her throat, "that's right, Nico never mentioned it. Is it your mother or father?"

Jinx stabbed her fork into her chicken, "father."

Like many demigods, Jinx never met her father. Her mother died from the excruciating pain of holding a child of Khaos, no human could have ever done that and lived. And she was born two months earlier than when she was due.
So Jinx was dumped into the foster system without knowing who she was and what she was capable. The good thing from that is that her foster parents were amazing.

That was until Nico di Angelo came to her and offered her another way of escape. He explained to her that while he tried to summon his dead sister, he summoned a cousin of his that mentioned his great great great granddaughter that was on her own.

So, Nico took her to a farm and said she'd be in the care of a son of Ares.
Now that Jinx thought about it, he wasn't so bad, but she still didn't understand why Nico took her there.

The son of Ares had been there to witness Jinx get claimed by her father. That's when he gently told her that he couldn't house her anymore, that it was too dangerous.

Eventually Nico came along again, taking her to the Roman camp to meet his half sister. But she didn't stick around there, hating that it reminded her of who she was. She'd broken the three-people-a-quest rule, and took quests for herself.

Normally one would have to get a prophecy from Octavian, but she didn't like him and he didn't know what he was doing. So, she skipped that part. She didn't need prophecies when her nightmares told her enough about her quests.

"Jinx?" Hazel snapped her back to the present. She realized she had massacred her chicken. "Is it Mars?"

"What-?" The kid, Frank, opened his mouth in protest.

Jinx shook her head and took a sip of the Capri Sun she managed to get.

"Hermès?" Percy asked, "Hazel mentioned you left camp a lot. It'd make sense if you were-"

"No."

Leo's face contorted into disgust as if he just had a horrible thought, "don't tell me it's Hephaestus."

He looked up at the ceiling, like he was praying to the gods despite them being unresponsive.

"No, not that oaf." She retorted just to offend Leo.

It didn't work. Leo still wasn't too sure about calling the god his dad, so he didn't mind.

"If not them, then who?"

Percy groaned in annoyance, "is it Dionysus?"

"No. In fact, my father isn't really that important." She played with the magical cup, willing a cherry to appear. It did. She picked up the floating cherry.

Jinx stared at them all as she ripped the cherry off it's stem with her teeth. She chewed, twirling the stem pinched in between her fingers, pondering what she could tell him.

Nico hadn't told Hazel. That must've been important.

Jinx perched her elbows on the table, "you." She pointed to the girl with gray eyes. "You're the daughter of Athena, yes?"

She nodded.

"Do you know what the Latin origin of Jinx means?" She asked.

The blond responded almost immediately. "Die another day."

Jinx nodded, "that has almost nothing to do with me. I have no idea why I was named that. 'Bad luck'." She sighed, "my father is the first Protogenoi."

"What does that-?" Piper started to ask, but was cut off by Annabeth.

"You're the daughter of Khaos." She breathed out.

"Huh?" Leo looked around for help, hoping someone would take pity on him and explain. But no one else understood.

"Ding ding." Jinx said in an emotionless tone.

"That really should be impossible."
Jinx could see her brain working, the gears turning. "Except, there was one story that said he fell in love with a human and impregnated her. She died and the child did too."

Jinx frowned, "I am alive."

Unfortunately.

"That really shouldn't be possible." She said again.

Jinx closed her eyes, focusing on stopping time. Once she was sure she did it, she jumped from her chair and let out a shaky breath.

"Woah. That was scary." She admitted to herself. Jinx ran a hand through her curly hair, "no way I just did that without shitting myself. Wait- did I shit myself?"

She twisted her torso to look down at her butt, patting it. "No. Thank the gods. Well not really, fuck you all."

Jinx cleared her throat, willing the magical cup to give her another cherry. She sat in a spot on the table in front of Annabeth, still in the middle of claiming Jinx's very being was impossible.
And she let go of time.

Leo took a loud involuntary gasp. He felt like he had been suffocating even though nothing had happened. Except something did happen.

Annabeth stumbled out of her chair. Leo turned to see the commotion, realizing that Jinx wasn't at the chair she had claimed.

Just as he was about to say something about it, Annabeth yelped "Jinx!" in the same way when she scolded Leo for talking back at the wrong times.

There Jinx laid back on the table. Leo watched. Her elbow lifted her entire body up, leaving her other arm to rip off another cherry from its stem. Jinx's legs dangled from the edge of the table, one crossed over the other.

He took that moment to really look at her without having her stare into his own eyes. She had heaps of loose brown curls. Leo noticed the sweater she wore had a band's name marked on the sleeve, one he couldn't recognize.

"Is it still impossible?"
She tilted her head in the way that Leo started to think was familiar.