Blond Superman

chapter five; Blond Superman

ANNABETH ALMOST face-palmed herself. She couldn't watch Jinx do whatever she was going to do.
"What is that idiot doing?" She whispered.

Jinx held a churro in her mouth as she walked past them, pretending to be a normal person. "Excuse me." She muttered, using her hair as a shield from the Romans as she walked.

Piper and Hazel's eyes widen in disbelief.
Their most powerful ally completely ignored them.

Octavian scooted back, allowing her to go through.

She did seem like someone normal, with shopping bags piled over her shoulders, and sunglasses that she had pickpocketed from someone on her way to the docks.

Annabeth was going to give her a piece of her mind once this was over with.

"Well?" Octavian asked once Jinx was far enough.

Instead, she sent what she hoped was a distress signal to Percy.

Jinx calmly made her way to the ship, only a few feet away when she saw a dagger fly into the water.

Who in their right mind would-?

Her train of thought was cut off when the water erupted, and Percy emerged holding the dagger that was thrown.

"You dropped this."

Never in Jinx's life had she wanted to laugh more than now. She managed a look back. The three Roman soldiers that had a face down with the girls were struggling to get out of the water.

Octavian started shrieking, "get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

The average empty promise.

She saw the demigods racing towards her.
Percy took one look at her bags and raised a brow, "have fun?"

Jinx gave him a finger gun, "yeah!" And they boarded the Argo II.
Piper went to Iris-message Jason and the others to warn them, and Hazel went to go look for Coach.

"I'll go with you." Jinx offered.

She ran down to where the cabins were, and barged in before Hazel could enter. "I came before they did, Mister Coach." Jinx said, dumping her bags on his bed.

"We're being attacked! Annabeth says to get to the deck." Hazel relayed the information Jinx failed to mention.

Coach got up, storming upstairs with an angry look. "Where are they?" He demanded, "who do I kill?"

"No killing!" Annabeth yelled, "just defend the ship!"

"But they interrupted a Chuck Norris movie!"

Jinx covered her mouth, laughing, "wait, you actually started watching it?"

He turned to her, "of course!"

Piper came up, "Got a message through to Jason."
She said, "he should be- oh! There!"

Flying towards them was a giant bald eagle, "Frank!" Hazel pointed.

"He can shapeshift?" Jinx asked, waiting for an answer that never came. Everyone was too preoccupied.

She squinted her eyes to see the eagle everyone saw, but it was useless to see without her glasses. Jinx hated wearing them and she broke them too often.

Her hand slipped into her pocket, taking out the frames to see what they were talking about.
"Oh. I see Leo there too." She said, staring at Leo as he flailed around in the air.

Behind them was Jason. He controlled the wind to his will, making them fly him over to them.

"-looks like a blond Superman." Percy commented.

"This isn't the time!" Piper pointed to them, "they're in trouble!"

Jinx tilted her head in recognition, "he does look like a blond Superman."

Percy nodded his head towards Piper, "I told you."

A Roman flying a chariot attempted to ram into them, but Frank and Jason dodged them. But that wasn't all. The Romans readied their bows and fired arrows right underneath Leo's feet.

Even from her, Jinx could hear all of the cursing and screaming Leo did. Jinx laid back watching it all unfold, taking a piece of gum out of her packet.

Coach had aimed the port ballista, throwing a flaming spear to the Romans. Although it did bring the Pegasi into a frenzy, it got Frank's wing and sent him in one too.
Dropping Leo in the process.

Leo was going to die.
Or that's what he thought, literally the only phrase that kept repeating in his head.

I'm going to die!

Everything was going horribly. Jason, obviously in pain from being slammed into a chariot, flew down to get Leo.

He caught him, and Leo almost sighed in relief. Almost kissed Jason for saving his life. That was before he only managed to slow down their fall, not bring them up completely.

"Bro! We are so going to die if you don't pick us up right now!"

Leo shook his friend out of his daze, but to add onto his worries, Frank tumbled down next to them.
He wasn't personally a fan of Frank, but he wasn't going to let him die.

"Frank!" Leo shouted.

Jason, still dazed, managed to bring his hand down as they swirled down.
The landing wasn't as soft as he had hoped, but at least they weren't dead.

Jinx heard Annabeth spew orders all around her as she and Percy attempted to control the ship.

She turned to Percy, "I'm going to need you to control the water so we don't smash into the docks." Then she faced the rest of them, "once we're there, you're going to have to hold off the attackers. The rest of you, guard the ship."

Jinx rolled her eyes, she was useless in combat. There's nothing she could do but freeze time. What a lame power.

Piper and Hazel protested, calling out their fallen friends' names.

"I'll find them." She promised, telling them that she was going to go look for the map.

"The fort is crawling with Romans."

Jinx snorted, "she already figured that out idiot."

Percy ignored her, "you'll have to fight your way through, find our friends, find this map, and get everyone back alive. All on your own?"

"Just an average day." Annabeth said sarcastically, kissing her boyfriend on the lips. "Whatever you do, don't let them take this ship!"

When she left, everyone did their part.
But Jinx.

She sat crisscrossed in the middle of the deck, watching as the Romans tried to advance on them. Piper glanced down at her in bewilderment, and Hazel tried tugging her up,

"Jinx, get up! Come on," Hazel encouraged, "now's your time to prove yourself to the others."

"If they live."

Piper gasped loudly, "they will!"

"Maybe."

"Jinx, Percy needs you up there." Hazel tugged her arm.

Jinx simply limped back down, "I am not lifting a single finger to help you guys until I am assured that I won't be treated like a prisoner."

"We assure you that you won't be treated like a prisoner!"

Jinx chewed her gum thoughtfully, What's the worst that can happen?