30 Minutes

chapter five; 30 Minutes

JINX SPENT the last two nights in Leo's cabin.

It didn't matter much to anyone seeing as Leo never really slept in his room, spending his time in the Engine Room. And Jinx was practically kicked out of Coach's cabin.

"You never do anything! All of the time I come in here for a break and personal time, you're lying down fast asleep. Be more productive!" He yelled at her.

Jinx rolled her eyes and took her blanket to Leo's room.

He didn't mind it. The only time he went into the room was to shower and change into a new pair of clothes. Jinx was always asleep when he crept into the room, so neither of them were disturbed.

This morning, Hazel came knocking to look for her. "Morning."

"What time is it?"

"Uh- I don't... Twelve o'clock?"

Jinx sat up, her hair in different angles and waved her in. "What brings you here, Hazel?"

Hazel sat on the edge of the bed, bringing in a polecat. Jinx gave it a strange look and decided not to question it. There was obviously something on her mind.

"Coach Hedge-"

The name alone made Jinx groan and fall back onto the bed.

"He is so infuriating right now and I don't even know why."

"Oh. I was going to ask if you knew what was going on, but I guess you don't."

Jinx reached toward the desk for her glasses, "no. I have no idea what is going on in his brain, I just want to take a peek." She looked up at the ceiling.

"And Nico wanted to know if-"

"Don't finish that sentence."

Jinx sat up again, running a hand through her tangled hair. "Both of them are unbearable."

"How so?"

"Hedge keeps calling me a hormonal teenager or something and Nico keeps nagging me to have a conversation with him. If anything, the one person I want to have a conversation with is actively avoiding it."

Hazel's polecat started running around the room and jumping on top of stuff. Jinx looked at it and then at Hazel.

"Her name is Gale and Hecate sent her to watch me."

"Nice...?"

Hazel flopped onto the bed, "there's a test or something that's supposed to happen very soon. And Hecate sent Gale to watch over me to see how I do."

Jinx didn't know what to say. She couldn't relate in any way, and if she found something it was a negative thought that Hazel probably wouldn't have appreciated.

Hazel turned her head to look at her, "talk to Nico. Please. You guys haven't really talked about your almost-trip to Tartarus."

She nodded and Hazel stood. The moment between them was over but Jinx felt closer to her. That was the longest conversation she'd had with anyone on the ship. It felt nice.
Hazel went updeck, her polecat following after her. Jinx stayed in bed for a few minutes before getting ready.

She sat alone at the dining table, eating breakfast at one. Nico appeared by the entrance, walking in without saying anything.

Jinx sighed. It was time. She'd been avoiding it for as long as she could.

Her spoon clattered as she dropped it into her bowl, "alright. Let's talk."

Nico jumped at the chance and sat across from her. "Finally." He muttered, "what's up with your weird time thing?"