Voices

chapter twenty-three; Voices

JINX OPENED her mouth in shock. 

They are insane.

She thought as she watched Hedge take control and start bombing the parking lot. In what felt like an hour or two, a few cars fell right down the hole he made along with chunks of asphalt. 

"Foreign cars." Jinx swallowed the pain she felt when watching them fall to their deaths. "Pretty cars." 

But her worries flew out the window when Leo whipped around to face her with a wide grin. "That was awesome!"

"Annabeth!" Percy shouted, looking for said person. 

"Here!" The voice was croaky, but it was certainly Annabeth's. 

A wave of relief hit Jinx. She wasn't too fond of Annabeth and her way of doing things, but she would not be able to survive the feeling of not knowing if she was okay or not.

The first thing Jinx noticed when she and the rest of them made their way down there, was the huge gap in the middle of the ground. A void in the middle of the ground. She immediately felt the bad energy. 

The sudden pull to fall in. 

She backed up into Leo's chest. He looked at her, a worry frown taking place. 

Leo didn't have to say anything because the way he was looking at her made it clear enough. He was asking her if she was okay. Which seemed silly since it was Annabeth that needed to be asked that. 

"Your leg." Jinx vaguely heard Piper say. 

Leo wordlessly slid his hand down to meet hers, and intertwined them. He then looked back to what was happening, without acknowledging what was just done. 

Reluctantly, Jinx turned to face Annabeth- Leo's warmth a burning reminder that he was holding her hands. 

"You made Arachne weave her own trap? I knew you were good, but Holy Hera—Annabeth, you did it. Generations of Athena kids tried and failed. You found the Athena Parthenos!" Percy smiled a smile that was reserved for Annabeth and her alone. 

His words made Jinx's gaze drift to the giant statue. 

"Is it bigger than the statue of Liberty?" Jinx asked.

No body answered.

"What do we do with her?" Frank asked. "She's huge."

"We'll have to take her with us to Greece," Annabeth said. "The statue is powerful. Something about it will help us stop the giants."

"The giants' bane stands gold and pale," Hazel quoted. "Won with pain from a woven jail." She looked at Annabeth. "It was Arachne's jail. You tricked her into weaving it."

Leo raised his hands to the statue and closed one eye. "Well, it might take some rearranging, but I think we can fit her through the bay doors in the stable. If she sticks out the end, I might have to wrap a flag around her feet or something."

"What about you guys?" she asked. "What happened with the giants?"

Percy told her everything.

"So the mortal side is in Epirus," Annabeth concluded. "At least that's somewhere we can reach."

Nico grimaced. "But the other side is the problem. Tartarus."

An uncomfortable silence befell them. No one wanted to remember that vital piece of information. 

Jinx figured when it comes to it, they should battle it out. Maybe rock paper scissors? 

Or maybe I should just go.