phase depression

chapter eleven; phase depression

JINX WANDERED around the ship.

Nico's words hit hard and she decided to pull herself away.

She thought she was doing the right thing, but Jinx was way off.

"Maybe talking to people is still hard for me."

The thought made her feet take her in Hazel's direction. She always knew what to say. Jinx felt like Hazel was the only one besides Leo and Percy that felt a genuine connection with her.

Maybe she could help Jinx.

Looking at her hands and fidgeting with the ring, she paused. Frank was probably inside with her. He had been comforting her after her motion sickness got out of hand. Jinx didn't want to intrude and be a bother.

Before Jinx could make up her mind, she felt a shiver down her spine and heard Piper's voice.

Her thought process was drowned out by the trio's freaking out. She decided to ditch Hazel and check on the commotion.

"What's going on?"

"Wait, what?" Jason stared at Piper in confusion. "Piper, what's wrong?"

"It's her!" Piper snatched up her dagger. "She's back! We have to—"

"Guys?" Jinx hesitantly walked toward them. "Who's ba-"

Before she could finish, the boat listed to port. The temperature dropped so fast, the sails crackled with ice. The bronze shields along the rails popped like over-pressurized soda cans.

Jason drew his sword, but it was too late. A wave of ice particles swept over him, coating him like a glazed donut and freezing him in place. Under a layer of ice, his eyes were wide with amazement.

Startled, Jinx slowed her time down and drew her sword looking for the culprit.

Piper, the opposite of Jinx, moved faster and more frantic.

"Leo! Flames! Now!" Piper yelled.

Leo's right hand blazed, but the wind swirled around him and doused the fire. Leo clutched his Archimedes sphere as a funnel cloud of sleet lifted him off his feet.

"Hey!" he yelled. "Hey! Let me go!"

Jinx willed her time to go back to normal and ran forward, "Leo!"

Jinx raced forward, but she was no track star. She was only good for running from things, not straight at them.

Leo's arms stretched out toward her and Jinx prayed to Hephaestus that he'd help her get to his son in time. His eyes weren't his usually bright ones, but he smiled at Jinx anyways.

"It's okay!" He shouted, "I'll be okay, I promise!"

"Wait for me!" Jinx staggered forward feeling frost creep up her leg. She could slow down its process but Jinx still didn't know how to reverse something.

Piper ran toward him, but a voice in the storm said, "Oh, yes, Leo Valdez. I will let you go permanently."

Leo shot skyward, like he'd been launched from a catapult. He disappeared into the clouds.

Shocked that Leo had just been swatted like a fly, Jinx attempted to stumble back but her feet were stuck in place.

She cursed herself for not knowing how to advance in her ability. For not being enough.

"No!" Piper raised her knife, but there was nothing to attack. She looked desperately at the stairwell, hoping to see her friends charging to the rescue, but a block of ice had sealed the hatch. The whole lower deck might have been frozen solid.