leo's return

-praying that this chap makes sense-

chapter fifteen; Leo's Return

Jinx looked like a brooding teenage girl, which she was, but she didn't like that it showed.

Jason returned unconscious for six hours making everyone nervous. She didn't know what she would do if they lost another teammate. The entire mission would fall apart.

"We're almost at the island," Hazel announced.

The four were gathered in Hazel's cabin. When it came to those four, that seemed to be mutual ground.

Something good that happened was Frank being less scared of Jinx. She was proud of him for overcoming his fear. Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for Nico.

He stood in the corner by himself, looking at his feet. "Percy's getting closer to the Doors."

Jinx heard him say this to Jason earlier, but hearing the words directed at her somehow made her more anxious. "What do we do if we can't get there in time?"

Hazel intertwined their hands, "we will."

Jinx never considered herself a jealous person, she often didn't have enough energy to be one. Although, when Hazel or Leo said something positive in the face of the uneven odds, she couldn't help but be envious. Jinx wanted their mindset. She understood it was something she was going to have to work on herself. She couldn't be leaching off of Leo anymore.

That is if he was safe and sound.

"What about Leo?"

"I'm sure he's fine. I might not like him, but he's crafty." Frank crossed his arms and stared at the ceiling.

Jinx fiddled with her brown checkered skirt. She wondered what he was doing right now.

The door swung open and Piper ran in with a huge smile. "He's here!"

Leo was at an open-air cafe, drinking a cup of coffee and letting his mind wander. He knew it hadn't been long, but he already missed the Calypso's presence.

He hadn't noticed his friends until Piper tackled him out of his chair. Snapping out of his daydreaming, he tuned back into reality.

"Leo! Gods, where have you been?" Piper screamed into his ear. She pushed out of the hug and took a long look at his face before embracing him again.

"Valdez!" Coach Hedge grinned. Then he seemed to remember he had a reputation to protect and he forced a scowl. "You ever disappear like that again, you little punk, I'll knock you into next month!"

Frank patted Leo on the back so hard it made him wince. Even Nico shook his hand.

Hazel kissed Leo on the cheek. "We thought you were dead!"

Leo mustered a faint smile. "Hey, guys. Nah, nah, I'm good."

Then silence fell and the others dispersed. They suddenly found something more interesting than their reunion with him.

"Leo..." Tears brimmed in Jinx's eyes and she brought him into a bone-crushing hug. The weight on her shoulders lightened as she breathed in his scent. "I'm so glad you aren't dead."

Slowly, Leo's hands snaked around her waist.

Leo awkwardly chuckled.

She pulled away from the hug and ran her hands through his face, wondering if she still remembered the creases and scars.