Choosing Fate .:5:.

It was a miracle Libby even found her way around this maze of an Academy. Actually, Emerie almost forgot it was an Academy!

She shook her head disbelievingly, hot on Libby’s heels and stopped in front of a sleek wooden door with the numbers 104 cleanly engraved into it.

“You’re lucky,” Libby grumbled. “This is the single room wing of the girl’s dorm.”

Emerie shrugged. “I’ll need the privacy. Wait! I don’t have a . . . key.” The door was unlocked. Huh. Emerie expected it to be locked. Oh well.

They stepped inside and Emerie felt weird not having any luggage or her belongings. Her black eyes darkened, glaring holes into the creamy wall across from her. Right; that SWAT team had invaded her house and blown it up. Charming.

“Well this is nice and cosy,” Emerie said tightly, stiffing marching over to the bed and sat on it.

It wasn’t too hard or too soft. She smirked, suddenly feeling like Goldilocks, testing the three bears’ beds.

“Well you’ve got the desk and closet,” Libby said with a wide grin, slightly envious of the spaciousness of the room. “I’m in room fifty-one with two others so if you need me, just come downstairs OK?”

Emerie nodded absently.

As soon as Libby had left, Emerie felt relief wash over her.

A smile spread across her face and she let out a gleeful laugh. The one good thing that came out of all this was her room!

Letting out another joyous chortle, she leapt up and threw her hands into the air, spinning round and round with her shoes as slick as socks on the soft carpet.

Her own room. It was almost like her luxurious getaway!

“Thank you for this one good thing,” she said aloud, sitting down in the middle of the spacious room. “Thank you so much!”

“Glad you like it.”

A yelp escaped Emerie, causing her to bolt to her bed and grab her pillow for a weapon.

“Who’s there?” she barked.

“Calm down,” a voice said with a chuckle, appearing from a corner, materialising from thin air.

She stumbled backwards, falling onto her bed while her fingers clutched the soft pillow tightly. “Who are you?”

“Relax Em.”

“Don’t scare me like that!” Emerie scolded, throwing the pillow onto her bed. “How did you do that anyways? How come I couldn’t see you?”

Darryl chuckled, striding over to Emerie. “The beauty of illusion.”

“Illusion,” she repeated, crossing her ankles and rested against the bed. “Why does everybody think I’m an illusion? Like a disguise or whatever? What does that even mean?”

“Water Elementals have an extended ability of changing their hair colour and eye colour just as an illusion,” Darryl said with a shrug. “Only graduates actually have a license in it.”

“License?” she said, raising an eyebrow.

“Well we’ve got to have some civilised system to keep the extended abilities under control,” he pointed out with a shrug. “Water has the ability to create illusions. Earth can heal. Fire can –”

“Be hot-headed?” she guessed dryly, shutting her eyes and leaning back on the bed.

He chuckled. “Super-strength believe it or not. Air is –”