Choosing Fate .:16:.

“No falling asleep in class!” Mr Smedeley bellowed angrily, slamming a hand of ice down on the wooden desk.

His blue hair rippled, mirroring his angry eyes as the boy in front of Emerie barely kept his eyes open.

“If you want detention with me, helping dusting off the History books for the first years then you’re welcome to,” the Element History teacher sneered.

Emerie muttered angrily at the teacher in her head, a scowl on her face as she hid it from view followed by a short yawn.

“Miss Hartley do you find my class boring?”

“No sir,” she replied innocently, making her eyes wide and blameless. He scowled back, scrutinizing her with his beady blue eyes before marching down the aisles.

Who knew History could be so boring? Yeah that’s right; everybody.

Oh right; the term break just ended two weeks ago and Emerie still didn’t get enough sleep. Why?

Right; nightmares about her decision. All the time she saw fear flash through those multi-coloured eyes when she chose the wrong Element every nightmare.

Mr Smedeley continued to blabber away about how the Elementals were intertwined with . . . whatever. Emerie blinked sleepily, glancing around the room slowly.

The teacher’s endless monotone voice was enough to tire Emerie out and soon enough, she was sleeping with her eyes barely open. A trick she learned in the last two weeks of the first term she had at Akorin Academy; it looked as though she was staring off into space.

Although her vision was hazy, other pictures filled her sight; they were there.

She fought back a groan of annoyance, flipping through the pages absent-mindedly and copied the girl next to her; thankfully a really smart girl who actually bothered to pay attention in class.

The only time when Emerie let her guard down was when she was asleep; she practically had a phobia from all the nightmares!

All those voices pressing into her head, another extra voice coming from nowhere. What irritated her most was that they didn’t call her Emerie. They didn’t call her Emmy or Em or Emerie.

They called her Emeria.

She cried angrily in her head, forcing all the voices away and snapped back to consciousness, a shrill whistle ringing through the air, indicating the end of the period.

End of the day for Emerie. She sloppily picked up her History books; yes History books and sluggishly lead herself outside.

“Emerie!” The black-haired girl groaned loudly, quickening her slacking pace.

Ever since Tamora really understood how Darryl favoured Emerie, the pestering Air Elemental was doing everything she could to get Emerie to put in a good word for her! Goodness, she was annoying!

“Libby!” Emerie said, panicking and bolted through the sea of students, clutching at her friend’s arm as soon as she was near enough. “Get me away from – that!”

Emerie inclined her head behind her to wear Tamora was fighting against the crowd, desperately trying to pull to Emerie so spend some quality ‘girl time’.

Emerie snorted at the words. What a joke!

“Come on,” Libby said with a disapproving shake of her head. “You look like crap.”

“How charming,” Emerie said sarcastically, practically letting Libby drag her along the bustling corridors filled with Elementals.

“Well you need to stay awake a bit longer,” Libby said with a frown. “We need to go to the marketplace.”