Tell My Story

The week was agonising. Huey had told the group of friends that he had something to tell them and as the day got closer, they were itching to find out what it was.

Jazmine was the only one that had an inkling of what it had to do with. She believed it had to do with his parents, reflecting back on the brief conversation they had in her bed once she awoken from her stressed related nap.

Respectfully, she kept her mouth closed. She wanted either Huey or Riley to be the first to disclose what it was really about. It was their dark past after all.

Just like Jazmine, they all had their own theories but out of respect but didn't voice any of it because they knew it had to be serious for Huey to sound even more serious than he always was. Not only that, they never spoke about any other family member who's name didn't end with Freeman. It was just their grandfather, aunt Cooke and a couple of cousins.

It was Friday after school and grandad was out doing who knows what. The early evening air felt tense as the winds picked up, making people regret underestimating the winds coming. When they all got to the Freeman's home, it felt as if the winds had found their way inside. No one knew what to say or what to do so they just sat in the living room and waited.

"So, how was school?" Caesar awkwardly asked. Caesar was too much of a talkative person to sit in silence. He was almost as bad as Riley and Jazmine but by their faces, he knew they weren't going to be the ones to break it.

Cindy shook her head. "No. Please. Don't be that person."

Huey sighed silently. He knew he should've just started talking as soon as they got comfortable but he wasn't. He wasn't comfortable yet and needed a moment to collect at least a couple of thoughts running through his head like a marathon on replay.

"Look, I know things are awkward at the moment because no one knows what to say since they don't know why we asked you all to come over." He started off.

"We've been looking in our past, more specifically, our parents." Riley continued, making everyone sit up in curiosity. This was a new topic. "This is them." Riley pulled out a picture from who knows where and passed it to Hiro first since he was closest.

In the now aesthetic style photo, the luminous lights of the bowling alley shone over the young couple on their first date. The blue lights reflected beautifully off their melaninated skin as they held each other close, laughing at who knows what. They looks so young, beautiful and full of life.

"Their names are Christian and Mackenzie."

"One of the reasons we were able to move to Woodcrest was because of the help of inheritance from our mother who came from a wealthy family." Huey was working his way almost backwards. The death of his parents were enough to trigger tear ducts to go to work.

"When you say wealthy? What exactly do you mean?" Ming asked for clarification. People considered her wealthy since she came from generational wealth so she just wanted to be aware of what he meant about that.

"Our grandparents own a real estate agency which has flourished. Houses, apartments, shops, open space, everything they deal with. Which is why they hated my dad so much. He didn't come from the life they wanted for her. My mom was a lawyer who helped people stay out of jail and they wanted her to marry a snobby lawyer she met at law school."

"Wow they actually said that?" Royalty asked in shock, making both boys nod.

"Yeah. We even have an aunt and 2 uncles as well as a couple of cousins from them. We haven't seen or heard from them in years." Riley added. "Growing up, I barely remember interacting with them."