ten.

I don't know where I'm going

I don't know where I'm going. But I can't stop. I'm running as fast as I can, but the burning in my throat is still there. I'm not the kind of vampire that feels guilt for what we crave. It's the circle of life—predator versus prey. The lion eats the zebra, The bear eats the fish, the fox will hunt the rabbit, and a vampire will prey on humans. It's just how it is, but I refuse to take an innocents life. I learned early to snatch, erase, and free. It's sort of like when a fisher catches a fish but sets it free into the water just because they can... Well, not exactly like that unless the fisherman sucks some of the fishes blood from their body first.

I come to an abrupt stop in the middle of a forest next to some building ruins. I can only assume it used to be a mansion when I hear a twig snap, and I realise I'm not alone. I try to focus my hearing for any heartbeats, but I can only hear my own blood pumping. I need to learn how to concentrate. Someone speeds past me, causing a wooshing sound to fill my ears. I turn around, ready to pounce on the vamp, but my dead heart skips a beat at sight in front of me.

"Elijah." 

"Good evening, Keira." 

"What are you doing out here?" I ask.

He takes two controlled steps towards me, his eyes never leaving mine, "I could ask you the very same thing." 

The closer that he gets, the less control I have. He makes my body respond in a way that I never have before. I need to distance myself from him to think. Taking two step backs, I say, "Me? I'm just out here taking a late-night stroll. Might catch a bunny to eat or something, y'know? the usual."

Elijah's lip turns upward on the right side, showing an amused smirk, and he breathes heavier than usual out of his nostrils. Not quite the chuckle I managed to pull from him yesterday evening, but it'll do, "So what brings you out here tonight, Elijah?" 

He closes the distance between us so that he is an arm's length away and holds my eyes with his, "You.

My breath gets lodged in my throat, "Me?" I croak. 

"Yes, I happened to see you take off in this direction, and I was curious." 

I keep my face blank as I search his eyes, looking for his true intentions. Does he want to hurt me? I mean, if he did, he would have already done so, right? And he has some deal with Elena. Would he really break that? I scoff internally. He's a vampire. Of course, he would break a deal with a human, "And what is it you want with me?" 

"Do you know that your existence is extraordinary?" 

"So people keep telling me." 

He places his right hand in the pocket of his pants, "Only one doppelganger should exist at a time. When Katerina became a vampire, the universe had to find a balance again and create another, but it should have only been one. Yet here you are." He purses his lips in curiosity.