one.

When I turned seven months ago, I was petrified

When I turned seven months ago, I was petrified. I had no idea all of the scary bedtime stories told to me as a kid were real. Vampires, werewolves, and witches walk amongst humans every day and they are none the wiser. 

being a vampire isn't like how Hollywood portrays it at all. I remember watching Twilight for the first time not long before I was turned. Edward would sparkle in the sun, he can read minds, and every vampire was pale and pasty looking. That's nothing like the real thing, I can't read peoples minds, but I can compel them. I don't sparkle in the sun, I burn, but thanks to Marcel I have my trusty daylight bracelet. 

It does come with downsides though. Every day I have to fight the urge to feed on someone. It's as though I'm a heroin junkie, but in my case, the heroine is human blood. Type O to be specific. Marcel and his friends helped me through it though and now I feel better than I have ever felt. I'm stronger, faster, and I finally have somewhere that I feel accepted. I am not the same vulnerable girl that was on the rooftop that day. I feel like me again.

**********

I swung open the double doors to the Abattoir, maybe a little too strongly, but I don't care, I am a girl on a mission with only one thing on my mind. The sound of my heels tapping across the ground echoing  throughout the compound with every step I make 

"You sure know how to make an entrance." Thierry, one of Marcel's day walkers, greets me. 

"I like to make everyone aware of the fact that the party has arrived" I smirk. 

He looks towards the ground and his lip twitches upwards on one side, "Well then, I better get myself a bottle." 

I let out a chuckle and cross my arms across my chest, "It's five o'clock somewhere, right?" I shrugged. 

"You're a bad influence on my men," Marcel says making his presence known.

"Oh come on, grumpy, we've got to have some fun every now and then." I walk towards him and place my hand upon his arms which were crossed firmly across his chest. He continued to give me the side-eye, "Just a little drink?" I beg.

After a moments silence, Marcel let out a deep breath lowering his arms, "You and those puppy eyes." He sighs.

I moved my hair behind my shoulder in a swift motion, "They're my secret weapon." I wink. 

Both men roll their eyes and let out a small chuckle. Marcel and I had become extremely close over the past seven months. He showed me how to be a vampire. He showed me that you don't have to kill to survive. He showed me the power that came with being a vampire, and he gave me a place that I could call home. I will forever be grateful for Marcel Gerard. 

**********

"I should get going," I say as I emptied the last of the liquor from my glass into my mouth. 

"So soon?" Marcel replies

"Not all of us have a city full of vampires doing their work for them, I actually have to work in the morning." I laugh.

Marcel let out a chuckle, "I don't know why you insist on doing that, but hey, who am I to stop you?" 

I take a step closer to him, "Mr Gerard, you are the king of New Orleans." I smirk. 

His gaze flickered down to meet mine, "And don't you forget it." His lip twitching upwards, and his eyes fall to my lips. I know exactly what that means, but I won't be going down that road. I stand up on my tip-toes and place a kiss on his cheek and whisper in his ear, "Goodnight Marcel." before vamp speeding out of the building. 

**********

It was midnight, but the streets of New Orleans were still buzzing with people. Drunken tourists, vampires on the prowl, and the locals. The street lights illuminated the streets, the sound of people drunkenly singing filling my ears. I love this city. 

I decide to walk the long way home, I love the feeling of the cold crisp air on my skin, and the night sky. I turn quickly onto a side street into darkness as I leave the main area. Seven months ago I wouldn't have dared to walk down such a dark empty street, but now, I'm invincible. 

Suddenly I hear someone rush up behind me and then nothing. Nothing but darkness.