Chapter 1.2 - Painted Devils

Rose slipped on her elegant black evening gown, careful not to smudge her make-up. She was excited and both worried at the same time. She also made a statement that riled the man she loved.

"Baby, you know my Granny Clara will be coming this evening? Please don't be short with her - she means well."

She heard him scoff as he started to dress and she tensed. Despite the heated and passionate lovemaking - she knew that their relationship was on pins at the moment. She hoped that tonight would go well, but was still prepared for their familiar Thursday fight.

"I assume when you say don't be short, you mean, don't point out she's an interfering bitch?" He mumbled and snatched the car keys from the side. Adam slammed the front door shut behind him, Rose stared at herself in the mirror and sighed. Looks like the fight would happen after all.

"Happy birthday Rose," she said and put on her best smile as she grabbed her clutch bag. The smile was for Adams benefit, not that he noticed. She headed toward the car, her fingers tracing across its cold metal and remembering all the times she and Adam had gotten lost on some backwater road in the middle of fucking nowhere. Despite being lost, cold and hungry - they had been the best times in their relationship. They once burned with love for one another, now, that fire had dulled and grown cold. Love apparently, couldn't keep them from fighting from feuding and squabbling with one another.

Adam revved the engine and glared at Rose, he wasn't consciously aware of his facial expression, but it still mattered.

The journey to her parent's house was silent, the tension evident. She knew the source of Adam's anxiety, Clara. Thankfully her father would be there tonight. Adam liked her Dad, Frank, sometimes she wondered if they were both as hotheaded as one another.

Once they arrived, her Mother answered the door. With a smile, she pulled them both into a tight embrace and handed them a glass of champagne. Rose's stomach churned at the sight of alcohol. She wasn't feeling well but knew that it was just nerves.

"Happy Birthday, Emily!" Adam smiled as he kissed her on the cheek and accepted the offered drink.

"Remember you're driving, baby." Rose reminded him. Adam's jaw tightened, and he took a swig of champagne in defiance.

"This will be a fun evening," she muttered under her breath

Once they got to the lounge, Rose was greeted by her sister. Lilly, of course, had swooned from the moment she met him. Adam, another typical male, hadn't the faintest idea. Rose wasn't concerned by it, to be honest, It had always been this way. Rose brought home men and Lilly fell hard and fast for everyone. She could trace it back to when they were little girls. Her sister would play with her toys, use her makeup and they would fight like devils every damn time.

She wasn't worried about Lilly. Not because she trusted Adam but because Rose knew he was blind to her sister's flirtation. They all were every last one. Rose pitied her sister, felt sorry for her.

Rose ventured off to do her annual meet and greets and left Adam to talk sports with Lilly. Lilly didn't like sports, but Adam did, and that was all that mattered to her naive and foolish sister.

Rose saw her Granny Clara from across the room, she was heading towards Adam. Rose's shoulders tensed. Adam also sensed Clara's presence. Rose watched as his posture changed and he tightened the grip on his glass.

"Time to run interference." She muttered to herself and walked over to Adam.

Her mother overheard her and searched for Frank - The peacemaker. Rose linked his arm when she reached him, Clara smiled that age-worn smile, and Adam tensed.

Rose loved Clara, she had always been there for her as a child. Sometimes Rose thought she was closer to her Gran than to her own Mother. Yet, there was no love lost between Clara and Adam, and whilst, this disappointed Rose. She had long ago given up on her attempts to rectify their relationship.

Rose and Adam had gotten engaged, 8 months ago. Clara was thrilled and pestered about baking the cake for them, among over things. 8 months later and with no date set. Clara was impatient, irritated and not shy about dropping, not so, subtle hints. Hints about Rose becoming an honest woman.

Rose guessed tradition was a big thing to her Granny, but short of hand-cuffing Adam to an altar. There was little she could do.

"Rosebud, Adam!" Clara exclaimed as she hugged them both - It was a hug which Adam failed to return. Rose noticed - Judging by the look on Clara's face, she noticed too.

"How are you both? Good, I hope? I still haven't received an invitation." Clara smiled.

Rose wondered if her dear Granny said things like this to provoke a reaction. She did not have a malicious bone in her body and only wanted what was best for her family. But, Rose had to admit; she was as subtle as a brick to the face.

Rose laughed, but when she glanced at Adam, she saw anger in his warm eyes. She gave his arm a squeeze and pleaded him to ignore the comment, to let this one slide. She realized the ship had already sailed, it was too late.

"Ah, no you haven't, and to be honest, Clara you won't be receiving one at all if you don't stop your interfering!" Adam spat.

The room fell silent. All watched them, Rose begged the ground to swallow her whole. She opened her mouth to chastise Adam, but Clara got there first.

"Will any of us ever get an invitation? Will you ever stop dragging your feet and make my Granddaughter an honest woman? Let's be honest. We'll all be dead and dust before you get around to it!"

Adam's face turned a shade of scarlet, he sucked in his breath.

"Clara. With no due respect. I don't think it's any of your fucking business when we get married. I'm sick of feeling like you're standing behind me with a shotgun." Adam shouted spittle flew towards Clara as he spoke

"Rose - Coat - Now. We're leaving." He spat as he slammed his glass down on the dining table so hard that it shattered.

"I'll be in the car." He added and stormed out of the house.

Rose stood, embarrassed, she apologized to everyone in the room. Most of all to Clara who smiled and nodded. Saying more than words ever could, a simple message of forgiveness and understanding.