Chapter 9 - An Ode to Suffering

Frank started to sink into a slumber, his eyes felt heavy; his brain strung out. He had been awake in total darkness for hours now. Listening as Emily whimpered and fought against unknown enemies. All the while, he stared at the ceiling. Frank was exhausted but every time he closed his eyes; he thought of Rose. The mere thought of Rose instantly roused him.

Try as he might, he couldn't purge the image of Rose from his mind's eye, Rose laid out on that metal table. Rose with both legs broken. Her skull caved in; part of her brain protruded onto the autopsy table. Her neck a dark shade of purple and snapped at an unnatural angle. Worst of all. Her dead eyes locked open, as they stared in a perpetual state of terror. This imagery seared into his mind.

This image haunted and possessed him. Emily couldn't understand or refused to acknowledge his pain, and this infuriated him. Yes, they were both in mourning, both distraught; but she isolated herself. Talked to herself and stared off into the distance, like she was the only one who was suffering. but she hadn't gone into that room, that cold emotionless room; he had.

At the time, he thought that the lights were dim and needed changing. But as he lay here now in bed, surrounded by the darkness; he realized he was wrong. They didn't need changing at all, that was their true purpose. It was a subtle act of kindness. Dimness disguised the disgusting brutality of death itself. He shuddered and wondered how much worse Rose would have looked under the luminescent glow of standard bulbs.

Frank remembered that the room was cold, so cold that Frank could see his breath.

His brain reassured him that the room was designed to be cold. After all, the smell of rot and bodily functions is worse at room temperature and above.

Franks eyes first saw Rose's feet and noticed the toe tag. He was cold and emotionally numb before this moment. Once he saw her feet everything clicked into place. Everything finally hit him, full force, as he burst into tears.

When you go to see a loved one's body, they will always be laid out feet first. They do this so it's the first thing you see. Before they pull the white sheet back; in a grand reveal. It's less psychologically disturbing this way.

If Frank heard this fact, he would disagree. Seeing her feet first, made it worse. He understood the truth. A truth hidden to everyone but him. It was a simple truth, yet one that would destroy us all if we didn't block out the voice in the back of our minds. This world is cold, merciless and unloving. God is a pipe dream.