Chapter 22 - Aliferous (Edited)

(Any reproductions of this story other than on https://www.wattpad.com/394008710-gast are not permitted by the Intellectual owner of this property. If you see any reproductions on other sites you should inform myself immediately as that is a breach of the copyright laws that protect this story.)

"Who are you?"

"Demon to some. Angel to others." Hellraiser

Clara felt the warm light as it filled her very being, the light intensified to the extent that she had to shut her eyes, when she opened them again she gasped.

The light was gone and so was her mother, the room had altered and had become distorted beyond clear recognition, Clara shivered and looked around at the vast darkness that was now her reality, the shadows were so defined that they could have had mass.

Clara dragged herself to her feet and took a tentative step, she feared the dark and always had done, and now as she took that singular step, she was overwhelmed by visions of monstrous deformities, deformities that lurked, hidden in the shadows.

She shuddered, her body locked tight with fear as the door creaked open. She held her hand over her eyes as the open door cast the room into heavenly light.

Clara's eyes adjusted to the light and she lowered her hand and frowned. Stood on the threshold of the door was a child, he had hair as white and pure as the light, he had his back to her.

"Hey, kid!" Clara yelled and began to walk over to him, he ignored her and walked outside, the moment he left, the room once more had fallen victim to the shadows.

Clara paused at the threshold and watched in awe as the heavenly light followed the child everywhere he walked.

The street itself was as black and ominous as the room she was stood in. Clara was old enough and wise enough to know that the kid beckoned her to follow. She sighed, reluctant to become a pawn in others games but ran to follow the boy as she heard a hiss come from behind her.

She ran like she was twenty again, where ever she was now she felt alive, more than she ever had before.

Clara ground to a halt as she saw the bodies that were littered in the streets, the street was pitch black but somehow her eyes had adjusted to the minimal light and now she saw the death, the blood and the devastation with clarity.

She was so engrossed in all the death that she did not see the boy approach from behind her. He reached out, held her hand and she smiled before the realization fully dawned on her.

She let go of his hand and span eyes wide with fear.

The white haired boy smiled at her, his eyes were unique, she was entranced the moment she saw them and she was quite sure that she could see stars and the cosmos in his eyes.

The charm broke and Clara took a step back.

"Who are you?" She hissed.

The boy smiled, his smile made her heart quicken, it was as if she was his mother, all her maternal hormones burst into life and Clara only wanted to smell his hair and hold him tight to her bosom.

The boy spoke, his voice sounded familiar but she could not place it.

"Demon to some, angel to others." He turned his back on her and began to continue in his chosen path.

Clara hissed at the cryptic answer and shouted to him.

"Well, what are you to me?"

The boy beckoned her to follow with a wave of his hand.

She glanced back at all the dead and winced as her eyes focused on the black mass that surrounded one corpse in particular.

The multitude of amber eyes glared back at her and Clara was certain she could hear wings. She ran to the boy and fought the urge not to look back.

The boy paused and leaned against a wall; he watched her with avid interest and smiled as she held his hand without any cognitive thought.

"Where am I?" She asked.

The boy's smile faltered.

"You're not anywhere, in particular, that's the problem, you're displaced..."

Clara muttered a curse under her breath.

"You mean I'm circling the sink hole don't you?"

The boy nodded.

"In a sense... yes, you're circling the sink hole as you profess, the truth is more complicated, you're displaced, wandering between the planes of existence."

Clara held his hand tight. She suspected as much.

"I'm trapped in the astral plane?"

The boy grinned.

"Not trapped...you're just walking where the angels fear to tread."

Clara stopped and glared at the boy.

"You said Demon to some. Angel to others... if this is where angels fear to tread then that makes you..."

She took several steps away from the boy.

The boy sighed.

"The logic of mortals has not improved as we hoped..."

He held his hands up peaceful.

"Sometimes there is absolutely no difference at all between salvation and damnation."

Clara crossed her arms defensive and glared.

The boy continued.

"What I am trying to tell you is whether I am of angelic original or demonic, it matters not, I am here to assist you nevertheless."

Clara laughed.

"Call me cynical but that's the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever heard."

The boy frowned.

"Evil does not seek out man, Man seeks out evil..."

Clara clenched her fists in rage.

"My family did not seek out evil!"

The boy laughed, not from malice but from mirth.

"Is that true? Think about it for a second, really stop and think about it."

He continued.

"The day you and your sister played in the woods, did a devil whisper in your ears? Did it conspire for you both to climb that elm tree? Did it cover your ears when your sister protested? Did it specifically choose the right moment to snap the branch? Did it sit and watch as your sister fell to her death?"

Clara started to shake with rage; the boy touched her with sympathy.

"Did it plant the guilt in your heart? Did it make you want to punish yourself? Did it bring back your sister as a reaping avenger?"

Clara wiped the tears from her eyes, her hand shook with rage.

"Your sister came back to terrorize your family because you wanted to be punished...You wanted them all to be punished."

Clara swayed from the revelation.

"Evil does not seek out man, man seeks out Evil..."