Chapter 12 - Drown (Edited)

(Any reproductions of this story other than on https://www.wattpad.com/394008710-gast are not permitted by the Intellectual owner of this property. If you see any reproductions on other sites you should inform myself immediately as that is a breach of the copyright laws that protect this story.)

"Pity Is For The Living, Envy Is For The Dead." Mark Twain

Adam stared at Emily in shock, he hadn't seen her since the funeral but that had been less than a week ago. The Emily who stood before him now was a completely different person, the color in her eyes paler, her skin ghastly white as if she wasn't getting any sunlight at all. And she seemed distant as if she no longer lived in the present, but was condemned to roam the vast corridors of her past.

"Emily, can I come in?" Asked Adam not liking the awkward silence at all.

Emily nodded and vacantly walked back inside the house, leaving Adam standing on the porch, clearly concerned.

Adam looked once more at the dog's tracks, which served as freshly preserved warnings in the mud. He sighed and entered Rose's parent's house.

He came here without any clear understanding of his actions but after seeing those dog tracks, and the strange way that Emily was acting; he knew he was right to come here.

He walked inside, shut the door behind him and noticed something very odd. The mid-day sun was high in the sky now, and this house was nearly pitch black. Every curtain was still drawn, every light still turned off, and Emily was absent.

Adam flicked on the light and gasped, Emily was sat at the dinner table, staring vacantly at him. The table was littered with empty whiskey bottles, the ashtray was full. But some voice inside his head, unknown, but also familiar, whispered that this clearly wasn't Emily's doing.

"Emily where's Frank?" Adam asked as he sat beside her.

Emily stared at him whilst he was this close to her he could see that she had been crying. Emily sighed.

"He's out somewhere drinking himself to death or at least trying to..."

Adam tensed his fists in anger if this wasn't Rose's mother he would explode in anger at her, but he just couldn't. Instead, he held her hand, looked her in those vacant eyes and spoke softly.

"I'll find him..." He rose out of his seat and was about to leave the room when Emily spoke.

"Thank you..."

Adam nodded and closed the door on Emily; he pictured her sat in the darkness, staring absently into the distance and he shuddered.

Adam shut the front door behind him and out of his peripheral vision, he saw a flash of black fur and amber, as it darted through the bushes.

He stood staring at the dog tracks with knuckles clenched, he didn't confess to understand what was happening, but he knew one thing; it was unnatural and spreading like cancer. But this cancer was in for the fight of its life.