Chapter 10 - Together Forever.

"The brightest skies are always foreshadowed by dark clouds." Harriet Jacobs

Adam sat in his favorite chair. He faced toward the roaring flames and the hot embers that popped in the fireplace. The fire lit the room and cast a creepy scarlet tinge across the walls and ceiling.

He was enthralled by the fire. As he had been the whole time he spoke on the phone to Frank. His lips moved, his mouth made words. He smiled, sighed, even frowned. Yet, the whole time his eyes remained absent and fixated on the flames.

Adam's gaze diverted from the flames when he asked about the dog. His voice had raised an octave higher than usual, his eyes had dilated in fear. He tapped his fingers on the arm of the chair.

He wasn't able to understand his fear. Nor muzzle the nagging and repetitive voice deep within himself. He wasn't afraid for himself, He was for Frank, for all Rose's family. He tried to talk some sort of sense into himself. After all, it was a dog he had seen and not some portent for evil.

Dogs don't make you feel this way; dogs make you feel warm, not deathly cold. His sub conscious screamed at him.

Adam sat by the fireplace for hours, unaware as time sped by. He mentally tussled with himself about one subject that filled him with unease. The black dog.

As he ended the call, his trepidation intensified. Frank had answered in less than three rings. Everything seemed okay, but for some reason, Adam had decided to ask about the dog anyway. As he asked he was sure that he heard Frank whimper. This confirmed and cemented his fears. Whatever was happening to him was also happening to Rose's family. He ended the call and hated himself for being this unstable.

Adam relaxed, his head supported against the couch and he tried to think of happier times. A not so distant past. One in which he found himself retreating to at every available opportunity.

xxx

Rose lay in the grass; her body glistened in the strong summer sun. Adam watched her slender but curvy frame with avid interest. His eyes wandered to her rising bust and followed the beads of sweat that rolled down her cleavage. Adam mentally filed away the image for a rainy day.

Rose shifted her position. She lay on her belly with her firm buttocks raised in the act of presenting. Rose broke the silence.

"Enjoying the view Mr?" She asked with a playful grin.

Adam laughed wholehearted.

"I guess I'm rumbled, what can I say, men, like to admire their women."

Rose slapped him playful on the bulge in his shorts.

"Bad boy, put that thing on ice, and come over here and rub some sun cream on my back, would you? I can smell myself cooking and it's making me hungry."

Adam smiled, knowing if he chose to he could have Rose right here, right now on the summer grass. He looked at her sparkling eyes and knew she was reading his thoughts.

Rose smiled and looked down at his pitched tent. She giggled and wagged her finger at him.

"Not now, but later, if you play nice."

Adam grinned and reached for the sun cream. He climbed on Rose's back. Adam squirted cream onto Rose's now reddened back, and Rose laughed.

"I hope that was the sun cream." Rose giggled.

Adam smiled and shook his head in amusement.

"Oy gutter mouth!" He said before he slapped a more than generous handful of sun cream onto her lower back.