Chapter 14 - Feed the Beast (Edited)

(Any reproductions of this story other than on https://www.wattpad.com/394008710-gast are not permitted by the Intellectual owner of this property. If you see any reproductions on other sites you should inform myself immediately as that is a breach of the copyright laws that protect this story.)

"Bricks and mortar make a house, but the laughter of children makes a home." Proverb

Emily stared into the darkness in deep reflection, she was not as distraught as she appeared; she was just so damn lethargic, if she was a battery then she was nearly used up. But despite this, she knew in her heart that the purpose out-way the price.

Emily's face lit in a crimson light as she smoked a cigarette, her face in that crimson glow looked deceptively younger.

If Adam was here right now, he would jump back with terror. Emily looked the mirror image of Rose. It was all an illusion, of course, nothing but a trick of the light, but still, even illusions hold a bit of truth to them.

Emily's ears perked up as she heard the sound she had been waiting for. Somewhere upstairs a door creaked open and an infant began to cry.

It had been many years since this house contained infants and although houses can echo remnants of the past this was no echo; this was Rose.

Emily smiled, the effect looked alien on her pale weary face, but it was a genuine smile.

Emily began to hum a nursery rhyme as she ascended the stairs, holding onto the banister for support.

"Hush little baby, don't say a word,

Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird."

Sang Emily as she climbed the stairs, the child's sobs began to soften. The hallway lights began to pulse slowly.

"And if that mockingbird doesn't sing

Mama's gonna be you a diamond ring."

Emily smiled as she reached the top of the stairs.

The lights pulsed stronger now; the child's cries beckoned through the door.

Emily walked towards the open door, eyes fixed on something hidden by shadow.

"And if that diamond ring turns brass,

Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass."

Emily entered the room that was enveloped by thick shadow. She finished singing.

The room was silent until a baby laughed from the shadows and the bedroom door slammed shut with a force that could be felt throughout the house.

"Shh, Shh, Mother's here now," Emily whispered from inside the room, a noise of suckling responded.