Chapter 25: The Scroll & The Turtle

A/N: Apologies for the delay, I got very very ill. Had my interview and was unfortunately unsuccessful, but anyway, here's the latest chapter! Enjoy!

----- 

Shifu was floored. Completely taken off guard by what Hunter had revealed to him. "You... What? You were in the Orphanage? But that's impossible, I don't remember seeing you..." he said, trying to think back to those days many years ago when he was training Tigress to control her strength...

Hunter scoffed at what Shifu said. "Seems to be a trend lately." He spoke bitterly. "I would've thought she'd recognise me. I'm not exactly the most common of sights in China." Hunter then shook his head and looked back down at the Valley once again.

Shifu for his part looked thoughtful and then seemed to come to a realisation. "Oh dear..." Shifu shook his head and looked down at the ground as Hunter looked over in confusion. "I fear the fault for this may rest on my shoulders. I was the cause of Tigress not remembering her time at the Orphanage. I 'heavily encouraged' her to completely focus on her Kung Fu training and not think about the Orphanage. She may have taken that rather... Literally, blocking out most if not all of her time there." Shifu admitted to Hunter, shame in his voice and words as he spoke them. He then looked up at Hunter with determination. "I will amend my mistake immediately." Shifu said and stood tall, preparing to quickly leave and inform Tigress of what he had been told.

However, before he could, Hunter's hand shot out in front of Shifu, stopping him in his tracks. "No." Came the simple yet firm command as Hunter continued looking out at the Valley. "If she does not remember me, then it's for the best. I am better left forgotten by all, especially Tigress. I am The Man With No Name, and that is how it should stay. If she does not wish to remember that time of her life, I will not force it upon her." He explained to Shifu. "You must promise me you will not tell her." Hunter's expression was deadly serious and almost pleading at the same time.

Shifu took a second, looking down at Hunter's hand gently gripping his robe after he'd asked him not to tell her. "Very well. I will respect your wishes." he nodded to Hunter in agreement of his request and sat back down next to him on the Hill. "I take it Master Oogway knew about your... Past, with Tigress?" Shift asked The Hunter curiously.

Hunter chuckled a little bit at that, remembering his time with the Old Turtle. "Of course he did."

...

:Some Years Ago:

Hunter was definitely quite a bit younger from how he looks now. Not nearly as jaded or rugged as he is at present, but he definitely had some wear and tear by this point in his life. He was also a fair bit thinner and not as muscular as he would one day become, although he was still clearly very fit. In his left hand he held a scroll, with Jade caps and a red and golden serpentine finish. The Dragon Scroll. He looked at it, examining it closely and scanning over it. "This is quite a beautiful Scroll. Too nice for mere bandits to own. So, where did you steal this from? And how?" Hunter asked as he continued examining the Dragon Scroll.

"..."

Hunter's eyes snapped up dangerously to the apparently silent bandit who he had tied up, grabbing him by the throat and pulling him forwards violently, the ropes cutting into the bandit's torso. "Answer me or I'll cut out your fucking tongue and wear it as an accessory." He snarled viciously to the bandit, who whimpered in fear from seeing he looked to be serious.

He was rather quick to answer after that. "T-The Jade Palace! They were decorating The Hall of Warriors for the Winter Solstice Festival! We took advantage by disguising ourselves as decorators! Managed to steal it from the Old Turtle's room! They'd taken it down in anticipation of decorators with ladders coming! We knew they would, so we distracted the Old Turtle and took it!" The bandit quickly explained how they'd stolen the scroll, and who and where from.