10. 不動 (Immobile) - L's Route Starts

L was awaiting a cup of piping hot tea from Watari. He was looking over some documents when Watari came rushing over. Concern was written all over his face. L immediately perked up, wondering what the problem was.

"What is the problem?" He questioned. He shoved a few sweets into his mouth as Watari prepared himself to answer.

"It's about. . . Akemi." The male stated. L's hand hovered above his teacup. He felt his heart clench in his chest.

"Tell me what the problem is, stop speaking so cryptically. . ." L murmured. He was worried due to the expression on Watari's face. It meant that whatever he was about to say wasn't good news.

"She was assaulted by her ex-boyfriend and fell out of her bedroom window. Currently, she is in hospital, in critical condition." L shot up from the sofa at the sound of that. Was Kira involved in any way?! He clenched his hand into a fist though his expression remained calm.

"Take me to her, Watari. . . Right now."

✶ ✶ ✶

(Y/n)'s POV

(Y/n) was shaking her head madly, denying what she'd just been told. She attempted to struggle in Matsuda's arms but it was futile since her legs stayed stock-still, not moving an inch.

"No, Matsu! It can't be true. . . Please tell me it's not true. . . My legs, they can't be immobile, please!" (Y/n) begged. Matsuda held her tightly, whispering constant apologies for not being there sooner. (Y/n) couldn't believe it when she'd been told. . . Her legs no longer worked. She was mortified. . .

She didn't really think about the fact that her legs didn't work, she just laughed nervously, and constantly asked Matsuda whether he was just messing around with her. When the harsh reality of the situation finally settled in, it filled (Y/n) with dread. This was all Light's doing, that sick piece of shit!

He was the one controlling her ex, she just knew it. She clung to Matsuda whilst trembling violently. She didn't want to be immobile. She wanted to be able to walk but the x-rays and all the other reports showed her that it was all but a dream. The damage done to her spine by falling from such a height was irreparable.

(Y/n) glanced up when she heard the hospital room door creak open. She sniffled as her eyes met with the concerned ones of L. "What happened?" He asked, his voice barely even a whisper.

(Y/n) fiddled with her fingers as she debated whether to tell L that Derek might've been controlled by Kira. Light wouldn't know that she'd alerted L's suspicions. . . She was still scared though. . . What happened if Light had a way of keeping his eye on her, even when he wasn't around? That shinigami might be here to report back to Light!. . . She couldn't do it.

"My boyfriend. . . He went crazy, saying he was going to kidnap me. I tried to climb out the window but then he grabbed me. I struggled and kicked him away but I. . . Ended up falling out the window." (Y/n) mumbled, her voice breaking as she spoke the last part out. Tears rolled down her cheeks.

L sat beside the bed, on one of the chairs. Obviously, it was in his usual way. He gazed at the bedridden female and sighed. (Y/n) noticed a conflicted look playing out on L's face. (Y/n) gritted her teeth, worried about what L would say next. L took a hold of her hand, gently squeezing it. He let out a shaky breath.

"Akemi. . . I don't think you should be working for the task force anymore. . ." L mumbled. (Y/n) and Matsuda's eyes both widened. Neither had expected L to say this. (Y/n) was about to disagree but Matsuda slowly nodded his head.

"Akemi. . . It's not safe for you, especially now that you're immobile. I don't think it's a good idea. It's better for you-"

"NO! Please, you can't do this." She sobbed. The task force was the only place which gave her life meaning. She'd met so many kind people, and working there always kept her brain working. . . She knew who Kira was now, meaning that she could somehow be useful to them in capturing the other without raising Light's suspicions that she told them! Akemi jolted when she felt L's hands on her cheeks. She watched L as he tilted her head up. Tears continued to dribble down (Y/n)'s cheeks.