5. 妬ましい (Jealous)

(Y/n) was horrified. She had just seen Light kill someone. She was sure of it! The moment Naomi finished talking to Light, she became unresponsive, and she wouldn't even talk to her. How the hell did Light do that?! Just how much was he capable of?. . .

(Y/n) felt like a fool. It was like she played a role in Naomi's death because she didn't do enough to protect or save her. She wondered how it would've ended up if she didn't turn her back on Naomi when she was talking to Light outside the office. Maybe she would've still been alive. . .

(Y/n) continued to cry as she ran. She couldn't save anyone! She glanced behind her and her eyes widened when she saw Light hot on her tail. What?! Why was he. . . This made her claim even more valid. He'd heard her accusatory words. Instead of defending himself he was chasing after her with fury clear on his face!

He definitely was Kira! (Y/n) was close to her house. She saw Matsuda at the front of their small garden, watering their plethora of plants. She was so glad to see him there. She needed to be in his arms. She wanted him to hold her lovingly whilst he reassured her that she was perfectly alright. That everything was okay.

She ran straight at him with tears streaming down her cheeks. Matsuda turned just in time to see her but he couldn't prepare himself for the strong embrace. She jumped onto him, hugging him tight whilst sobbing. He stumbled and fell backwards with a thud. (Y/n) continued to cry. Matsuda didn't know what to do. He reached up and pet her head.

"Hey, Akemi. . . What's up?" He asked softly.

"Naomi's dead! All because of me! I didn't protect her or stop her and now she's gone. She's gone forever. I could've done something but I just let her go and now she'll never be able to speak to me again." She cried.

She didn't mean to tell Matsuda all this but it just slipped from her lips. Light had followed her all the way to her house. Would he come out? Maybe he knew Matsuda? Light's father was on the task force too but she didn't know whether Soichiro discussed what he did at work with his family, and whether his family knew who he worked with.

She was so irresponsible. . . She'd led Kira to her weakness. Her Achilles heel. She'd already lost so many people, she didn't want to lose anymore. So. . . She didn't tell Matsuda what she meant by Naomi being dead, she just carried on rambling things that Matsuda probably wouldn't understand.

"It's my fault. I left her all alone. Now she's dead like my father because of me. It's my fault!" She sobbed into his chest. Her father had been wrongly accused of his crimes. She witnessed what had really happened that day of the murder. Another man had stabbed the poor kid and ran. (Y/n) and her father were in shock but then (Y/n)'s father forced her to run, ending up with him going into custody and being blamed for the death.

Thanks to (Y/n)'s testimony, along with DNA evidence, it was discovered that he was falsely accused, and was set to be released. (Y/n) was there when he was about to leave when. . . He had had a heart attack right where he was. Obviously it was done by Kira. Her father had no health complications whatsoever. He was fit as a fiddle. A person like that couldn't have a sudden heart attack. So, Light had killed him?. . . Acknowledging that flooded her heart with immense pain. She choked out a small sob and kept her tear-streaked face hidden from Matsuda.

Matsuda's face was clouded with confusion. He cupped (Y/n)'s cheeks and pulled her face close. His eyes were full of honesty and sheer determination as he spoke his next words.

"Your father's death was never, ever your fault. Kira was the one who ended his life because he thought he was a criminal. In the end, we will find out who Kira really is, and we'll end his murderous rampage. Please, I told you to stop blaming yourself. . ." Matsuda exclaimed in a trembling voice, pressing the tips of their noses together.