The new world

"Where are we?" George shouts, the motion of the boat is making me feel sick, more so because I've been down below blindfolded in preparation for this final test.
I fumble to get the blindfold off but it's just as dark without it on, glancing up through the companion way all I can see is the dark night sky and little or no stars, hmm must be cloudy then.

Grabbing a hand hold and pulling myself over to the chart table I look to the last known position and start calculating my estimated position based on the hand written notes in the log book, it's red cover torn over time and the writing as small as possible to make the pages last makes it difficult to decipher the scribbling from George.

I have learnt all this so it should be easy, the blind navigation exercise was all I needed to finally get my skippers licence and start the trade routes, I got this!

The switches on the navigation panel have a hue of green to them just enough so I can make out the outline of the salon and dining table, the portholes above gave me a glimpse to the night sky but offered no more information to my position.

The electronic chart plotter is switched off as this had to be a manual exercise, although with the world being mostly covered in water the charts were next to useless as the coastline is hundreds of meters under water now, the few mountains ranges being the only coastline remaining in the world.
I picked up the metal dividers on the navigation table and measure a mile, being careful to get the points lined up accurately without stabbing my own fingers on the sharp points.
Plotting the heading and time from my last known position I came up with an estimated position I was happy with.

"46.410385°N, 6.351592° W George" I shouted up the companionway
George pulled a notepad out and shone a torchlight onto his notes "not bad Alex, not bad, now put us on a heading back home"
I climbed up out the companionway and into the cockpit, carefully replacing the washboards to keep the boat watertight, I then eased the foresail before turning the helm and boat onto my new course.

I lashed the wheel so it won't move further, just as I had been taught to do before releasing the main sheet to set the mainsail, the lines all felt familiar in the darkness and the months of training made me almost feel a part of the boat and its components were just extensions of my own body.

My legs rocked with the motion of the waves, anticipating the boats movement, the sails filled with the wind and the boat picked up speed I could feel the acceleration in the pit of my stomach, something I had grown used to, the subtle tell tales for sailing.

In the darkness I could make out George's wiry beard, his winkles and grey hair poking out of his foul weather gear, for an 83 year old he was more active than most young kids, and worked as hard as anyone I knew, but it was time to for him to finally give up his sailing boots, he looked tired, many years of doing the supply run for the community had taken its toll, not to mention his stories about the hybrid pirates out there.
I had come close to seeing hybrids before, another boat a few miles off, but thankfully George had seen it on the horizon and altered our course in time, most were pirates only looking to steel your supplies and raid the boat for spare parts.
George had taught me to stay clear of other boats, keep a low profile and sometimes take the less obvious route, it had kept us out of trouble the last 3 years while I learnt the routes and how to sail the boat.

I remember seeing a hybrid on the TV when I was 15, this was not long after the fever started and many people died, that's when the world as I knew it changed into what I know now, I've never seen one in person and the speed at which the world went from normality to chaos was incredible, just a day... one crazy day.
Within a week I lost my parents, and I was on my own constantly running for higher ground as the water just kept rising, the internet was down, the power was out, the TVs were off, all I heard were stories from others about a bomb which caused the icecaps to melt, and before too long the water came and all I could see was the ocean, if it wasn't for George plucking me out the water some 48 hours later I think I'd be dead, I don't remember much, its when the scar on my head came from, sometimes I'd relive that day in my dreams but I'm not sure what's real and what's not.